Author Topic: Details of Interior Body Color & Seam Sealer Application - Oct Dearborn  (Read 935 times)

Offline Angela

I have searched and read what I can find within this forum and yet cannot locate pictures of the *interior* floor pan / transmission tunnel area of 1970 Dearborn cars showing details regarding:
(1) What areas received body color VS which areas were only primed VS areas that saw no paint at all
(2) Which seam sealer was applied *before* body color

My particular car was built 10/08/69 at the Dearborn plant

Below are useful threads I found, yet which do not address / include pictures pertinent to the above questions. I am sure the above questions have been covered; please forgive me for not being able to find the right search phrase to locate these details.
Thank you!

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=kfbltiebpa8f14ef2hnuvmran2&topic=4217.msg23241#msg23241
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=kfbltiebpa8f14ef2hnuvmran2&topic=7910.msg45383#msg45383
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9637.0
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7910.0
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3696.msg20086#msg20086
http://concoursmustang.com/speegle/Articles/70/70%20Dearborn%20Undercarriage%208-2017%20v3.pdf
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 05:33:39 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
.....My particular car was built 10/08/69 at the Dearborn plant....

....cannot locate pictures of the *interior* floor pan / transmission tunnel area of 1970 Dearborn cars showing details regarding:

(1) What areas received body color VS which areas were only primed VS areas that saw no paint at all

On the floor pan and transmission tunnel - generally all of that area would ahve received primer followed by body color - either by direct application near to the sill area or rain down/overspray from the paint entering the interior through the windshield, door or rear window openings. The amount would depend on allot of factors and may be heavy or light and the color of the exterior color (contrast) would also affect the final look

Not much contrast between exterior and primer sealer

Body color more visible

Did these cover the area you were interested in??

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(2) Which seam sealer was applied *before* body color

All of the interior IMHO was applied before the paint stage. The sealer product leached through the body color/overspray and the top (painted layer) worn quickly though since it was flexible

Don't for get (extra credit) little details such as the black out for the rear window defroster hole ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

Thanks Jeff! Yes, the above photos are definitely what I was looking for. I'm grateful for your help.

I'm more familiar with SanJose-built cars and only now getting up to speed on the processes used at Dearborn.

Based on my understanding of your "70 Dearborn Unibody" pdf document, my car built in October '69 in Dearborn would have received a grey-ish black primer for the undercarriage. However, for the interior primer, a red-oxide color primer would have been used prior to body color, is that correct?r

Also, is it correct that the red oxide primer and body color would have been applied *after* the undercarriage (grey-black) primer, therefore some amount of overspray would sneak through onto the grey-black primer through holes in the floorpan?   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Based on my understanding of your "70 Dearborn Unibody" pdf document, my car built in October '69 in Dearborn would have received a grey-ish black primer for the undercarriage. However, for the interior primer, a red-oxide color primer would have been used prior to body color, is that correct?

Don't see anything in the document that is specific, as far as color, to what the final look was in October but yes the paint mixture for the undercarriage and front frame rails would have been a different source than the exterior and interior of the car. On the exterior you would have the light grey primer filler coat between the red oxide color and the body color. Some of that spray could and did make its way into the interior and trunk areas

Also, is it correct that the red oxide primer and body color would have been applied *after* the undercarriage (grey-black) primer, therefore some amount of overspray would sneak through onto the grey-black primer through holes in the floorpan?

Never seen evidence of the undercarriage color/paint in the interior or trunk introduced through the drain plate holes or the gas tank opening. If their had been the body color would have covered over it. Body color after the undercarriage paint was applied - that is why we have often large areas of the undercarriage covered with body color and later pinch weld black out.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Angela

Jeff,       in the interior of a model year 1970 Dearborn car,  what color primer would you expect to see in areas of poor body color application?

For example, inside a grabber-yellow car, perhaps near the wheel wells, if the yellow paint was applied thin/poorly, what color primer would you expect to see?

Thank you Sir.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Jeff,       in the interior of a model year 1970 Dearborn car,  what color primer would you expect to see in areas of poor body color application?

For example, inside a  car, perhaps near the wheel wells, if the yellow paint was applied thin/poorly, what color primer would you expect to see?

In the interior you would find red oxide below the exterior color, overspray or where the spray did not reach or bare steel with overspray (little t lore) or just bared - eventually leading to surface rust in months or years later

Purple arrows = red oxide mostly
Green arrows = bare steel/ little paint and now rust

Note someone has already scraped out the seam sealer

red oxide is either a lighter version, results of digit camera functions or it has a light mist of grey primer surfacer and/or exterior color over it. Does appear that the painter went lighter on the this car compared to others

Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

Re: Details of Interior Body Color & Seam Sealer Application - Oct Dearborn
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 07:03:59 PM »
Just read the thread and have several pictures of my Dearborn built mustang with the seam sealer removed. The attached pictures showing pretty much exactly where the seam sealer went on the inside of the car and that it went down before the body color paint. Ignore the green color that was someone's vision in the late 1970's of a custom paint job over the original classic calypso coral color of the car. Hope these also help with your question #2. The first picture in Jeff's presentation above with the green arrows is actually of my car, and I was the one that removed all the seam sealer for body restoration.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:07:55 PM by 1970 Snake »
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 11:06:49 PM »
Thanks for again reminding us that your car's pictures are with the sealer scrapped off/remove. Someone looking at these quickly might not catch that:)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 06:31:43 AM »
No problem Jeff, thanks, I try and help when I can, and appreciate when others help me.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers