Author Topic: Stamped metal floor pan drain plug - 67 Dearborn  (Read 3050 times)

Offline dlevy

Stamped metal floor pan drain plug - 67 Dearborn
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:25:57 AM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me which is the correct stamped metal floor pan drain plug that gets seam sealer and 2 screws to hold it to the floor pan of the car?

I have seen ones that are concave vs. flat and also different screw types (Phillips vs. hex head).

https://www.npdlink.com/store/?p=catalog&mode=newsearch&search_str=floor+drain&parent=1&year=0

https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/search_sorted.asp?Keywords=floor+drain+plug

Thanks,
Dave

1967 GTA Convertible 289 Dearborn in April
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:19:10 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gta289

Re: Stamped metal floor pan drain plug
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 12:22:00 PM »
The NPD 111-1 looks correct to me for a 67.  Phillips head screws as well.  Original plates were stamped from galvanized steel. I've always reused originals, have not compared the reproductions, so can't comment on accuracy one way or the other. 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 02:12:58 PM »
Spangled Galvanized finish I believe.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 04:17:54 PM »
Spangled Galvanized finish I believe.
I don't know if this is the correct term, but I do know that original "plugs" have a very coarse finish (think 50's garbage cans), and reproduction plugs are closer to a dull, smooth zinc finish. They reproduction plugs fit and unless your are in the Thoroughbred Class, they should be OK.
Gold card judges comments?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 04:49:57 PM »
Galvanized originally from the nicer examples I've found

Reproductions are often zinc. Easy enough to add the galvanized look to the zinc base. Done it many times :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 06:26:14 AM »
I believe you'll also find that there is an early/late variant on the screws that hold the plug to the floor. Early are phil, late are hex.

-Keith

Offline dlevy

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 10:13:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Following is a picture of what I came up with. My 67 is April in Dearborn - is that considered early?

I got the Phillips screws from AMK and original '67 drain plugs.

Jeff, I cannot find info on how to finish the galvanized look. Can you describe?

Also- what sequence do they get installed? Do they get seam sealer and installed before any painting? I am about ready to spray the first paint sequence with the underneath dark color.

Thanks again,
Dave

Offline tobkob

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:47:13 AM »
Try this under 69 mustang heading in the library.
http://concoursmustang.com/speegle/Articles/Article_Faux_Galvanizing.pdf

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 11:05:49 AM »
I used the method Jeff described in the article and it worked very well. Give it a try. I believe I used cold galvanizing paint as one of my layers. I think i still have some of the stuff left. It may have been my base layer for added protection of the bare metal.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 01:59:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Following is a picture of what I came up with. My 67 is April in Dearborn - is that considered early?

I got the Phillips screws from AMK and original '67 drain plugs.

Jeff, I cannot find info on how to finish the galvanized look. Can you describe?

Also- what sequence do they get installed? Do they get seam sealer and installed before any painting? I am about ready to spray the first paint sequence with the underneath dark color.

Thanks again,
Dave
After everything was painted is when the floor plugs were installed . Most restorers typically use the same kind of strip caulk (3M is what I use) you might use on the gas tank or sealing the fenders to the aprons.  The strip caulk mimics the product Ford used on the floor plugs. You might already have dome this but just in case. Since you are concerned about a detail like the galvanizing (used method mentioned with success) on the floor plugs then I would verify the correct much more visible base color for your Dearborn floor plans before proceeding.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dlevy

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 11:16:02 PM »
Great info!  Thanks for posting - and preventing me from mistakenly painting these plugs.

I am just about to send parts out for plating, so will include these plugs in the lot. Jeff's speckled galvanizing method looks very straight forward.

The 3M strip caulk is what has been recommended to me by several others for those applications as well.

I have color matched the original Dearborn '67 floor color which in my case is a really dark blue - almost black unless you look at it in the sunlight.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 12:18:50 AM »
I believe you'll also find that there is an early/late variant on the screws that hold the plug to the floor. Early are phil, late are hex.

All plants in 1967??
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

Re: Stamped metal floor pan drain plug - 67 Dearborn
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 12:52:37 PM »
Jeff,
I saw an early and a late SJ vehicle. My vehicle, Dec '66 is Phil. The May 67 vehicle was a hex head.