Author Topic: 67 Deluxe Steering wheel exploded view?  (Read 11816 times)

Offline Angela

67 Deluxe Steering wheel exploded view?
« on: December 01, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
Can anyone offer a good exploded view diagram of the 1967 deluxe steering wheel assembly, with part numbers? The attached picture is the only thing I have been able to dig up and it doesn't really include PNs.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Deluxe Steering wheel exploded view?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 06:09:50 PM »
Don't believe you will find a Ford diagram with the complete part number for your specific application - The drawing was meant to go with the text part of the book/catalog which would provide the full part number for the counter person to order using the base number as a start
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:25:41 PM »
Fair enough Jeff. I've never reassembled a deluxe steering wheel, so I am looking for pictures that would help me. For example, in the diagram above I think PN 13318 is the cancel cam, but I am not sure. I don't see that part being reproduced for this application and having the full PN might make it easier for me to find one?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:44:17 PM »
Checked a newer version of the MPC that I have in PDF (allot easier than grabbing the very large paper version) they only list the tilt version canceler. Apparently by the time of the printing they had stopped servicing that part for the fix column

For the tilt with the straight steering shaft) it was C7SZ -13318-B. Same as the 67-69 Thunderbird 67-69 Mustang and 68 Full size Ford
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 08:30:55 AM »
NPD part#13318-4A Turn Signal Cam $4.95

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
Thanks guys, but I don't have a tilt wheel. NPD doesn't list this part for 67 deluxe wheels, they only list it for 65-66 deluxe wheel AND the 67 tilt wheel. Anyone have a part number and/or source for this part?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »
If you do not have a tilt wheel the canceling cam is built into the steering wheel.
Marty

Offline Angela

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 08:59:39 PM »
OK, I am totally lost. I cannot figure how the steering wheel goes together and I need help. Can anyone offer some pictures of how the deluxe wheel goes together? And/Or can someone take a look at the following pictures and help me understand what I am doing wrong? I cannot find a way to mate the upper and lower chrome pot-metal trim rings about the wheel. There appears to be two pegs cast into the lower trim ring which do not mate with any feature in the upper ring. If anyone has some pictures of how this goes together, I would be very grateful.

priceless

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »
It's been 7 years ago since I put mine together. I will look tomorrow and see if anything comes back to me. Seems like I found an article in a past Mustang Monthly magazine. I'll see what I can come up with. Bare with me.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 08:16:43 AM »
The image marked "Where do these go" look to be parts to a standard wheel, so if it were me, into the "left-over parts" bin.

Otherwise, I heard it here before...these are like a Chinese Jigsaw Puzzles to figure out...add aftermarket junk to the mix and a perfect recipe for frustration. You might find a 10-year-old who can solve "Transformer" toys easily a handy helper on this one  ;D

As I said, one trouble might be that many if not most aftermarket parts to these wheels are terrible at best. Also, a slightly bent wheel will give you OTHER problems, yet the wheel might look great. The 67 wheel greatly differs in strength when set alongside a '65-'66 type, making them a bit weak and easily bent whilst cranking on the steering wheel of a PS car with the engine off (think of how hard the wheel would turn on a Big Block w/o the engine running) and/or in any (minor) collision.

The '65-'66 illustration you have is what I went by to reassemble mine but I did have to work at it a while to figure it out. I found myself reusing the original contact plates because the reproduction plates kept the horn switch "closed", meaning the horn would be ON all the time  :-\  (again, some of my parts are aftermarket or unconfirmed OE.) If you have an original wood wheel, you might just need to get OE or NOS parts. I wondered if it were not wiser to just by the reproduction wheel and get my frustrations OVER with, once and for all but I eventually got it together. After getting my wheel together and working on 2 of the 3 contacts, I bought some more OE parts (sold by Charles T.) from eBay. I am reluctant to try and tackle it again to change them out yet because I figured 2 out of 3 ain't bad ;)

Going back a few years ago, I thought some of my problems might be my wheel is tweaked some...it too came from ebay many years ago and when I got it, I had to buy yet another pile of parts to get enough to make it right so back then I had over $500 (closer to $600) and it STILL wasn't right yet!  :-\ ...only to see the reproduction wheels come available right afterwards. OK, I couldn't get the horn to work right but thought "at least the wheel looked like new"  so I put it on the car, unplugged the horns since it was being stored anyways and stood back and marvelled how beautiful it was at least...THEN mice got into the car while it was being stored and the wheel became pitted some AAAHHHHH!!!!!!! lol! like I said...can be a bit frustrating but getting it "right" you will be pleased in the end. 

Richard
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:40:35 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »
I did not have any trouble putting mine back together but getting the perfect adjustment so it would honk in all positions was a different story.
I started to remove mine last night so I could get some pictures but then remembered all of the trouble adjusting it and decided against it.

Offline Angela

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I still cannot figure this out. My confusion doesn't change when I try to assemble the wheel using all original parts.... nothing fits together, hence I clearly do not understand how all of these pieces are supposed to fit back together. The only repro parts I was planning to use (until I can find show-quality originals) are the upper and lower trim rings. All else is original or NOS.

Please, please post any pictures or diagrams you may have. I am not finding anything helpful on the web image search.

Also, I found the following pic on ebay..... what is the yellow-ish, plastic-looking ring indicated by the red arrow?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:04:06 AM by Angela »

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
I did not have any trouble putting mine back together but getting the perfect adjustment so it would honk in all positions was a different story.
I started to remove mine last night so I could get some pictures but then remembered all of the trouble adjusting it and decided against it.

Similarly, with the diagram Angela has as my guide, it LOOKED like it was right according to the pictures yet when I Ohm tested for continuity, my horn was stuck on. Took it apart like 10 times without a change in results. I then tried shimming things with washers but then the horn wouldn't work at all and the fitment was off...
Richard Urch

Offline Angela

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 10:28:04 AM »
More questions as shown in the picture below: