Author Topic: Engine/Part Number Questions  (Read 1981 times)

Offline TVRGriffith

Engine/Part Number Questions
« on: October 26, 2014, 07:41:33 PM »
Hello everyone, I am a new member here and I am currently restoring a 1965 TVR Griffith series 400 (#52/59).  This car came from the factory with a Ford 289 Hipo engine and manual 4 speed.  This is my first restoration of a car with an American V8 and I was hoping you could help me with some guidance on my restoration.  I am currently trying to track down an intake/carb that would be correct for my car.  My engine which I have confirmed is original has the casting number C5AE-6015-E with a date stamp of 5B10.  I believe this puts production on February 10th, 1965.  What part number date stamps would be appropriate for a concours restoration?  Does anyone know of a good source to find these parts (I realize the Autolite 4100 is going to be pricey and hard to find).  Thanks you in advance I appreciate any help you can provide.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine/Part Number Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »
First welcome to the site - don't expect we will get many Griffith questions.

You might want to look at the assembly date on your block (unless its been "decked" at some point) as that would likely the range of "acceptable" intake dates possibly. Its on the top surface of the block on the drivers side at the front edge- it sticks out about 1/2" from the head mating surface and is narrow with a set of numbers and letters

Right now I have examples from from 2 days - 30 prior to the engine block casting dates. The possible period after the engine block casting date  would reflect the last date found on the block - the assembly date mentioned above

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I remember seeing a Griffith in Massachusetts back in 1965. It was impressive. I would recommend that for 289 High Performance parts and information that you try the High Performance Mustang Forum http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/ and seek out Fred Ballard, user C5ZZKGT. He is a source for many HP specific parts.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 01:10:21 AM »
I'd recommend getting a copy of Bob Mannel's book, "Mustang and Ford Small Block V8". It has been indispensable to me.

http://www.fordsmallblock.com/

65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:25:59 AM »
I'd recommend getting a copy of Bob Mannel's book, "Mustang and Ford Small Block V8". It has been indispensable to me.

Good book for any small block fan - though it won't help much with the dating patterns ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TVRGriffith

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
Thank you everyone, I greatly appreciate the help and warm welcome.  This should be a fun restoration and Ill be sure to post some photos as it moves along.  I am hoping to have this done in time for Amelia Island in 2016. Jack Griffith (Griffith creator) sits on the board for car selection so I am hoping that will be a good in!

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:33:48 AM »
For those that wonder what the heck he is talking about, here is a '63 version;

Jim
'66 GT FB