Author Topic: Mike Murray Down Under  (Read 2767 times)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
Mike Murray Down Under
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
 Guys and Girls.
for the last 10+ years I have been flying back and forth between Australia and the USA learning more and more about 1st generation cars. I have had the opportunity to meet many people at MCA shows throughout America and can call many of the contributors to this forum as my friends and have shared many a conversation, email. meal, beer and alike discussing mustangs.

well this year I had a thought why not try and get one of my friends to come down under and see the mustang community in another country. well this year Mike Murray took me up on my offer and has flown out to my city to hang with me at our state concours and to see what happens on the other side of the world. this is mikes first time here so he is in for a real treat. fortunately mike and I share the same passion for unrestored 1st generation cars and we have looked/judged over the best the USA has to offer at many MCA shows.  so what is neat about this trip is that mike will be able to view one of my low mileage unrestored 66 mustangs that originally came from BOB PERKINS collection over 10 years ago. geez doesn't time fly BOB, in the 10 years of my ownership this car has done 4 miles and has sat in my garage all tucked away from the elements and prying eyes. Mike has never seen this car before and I was kind of nervous and excited to see/here his impressions of my little silver blue 66 coupe.

Well today that day arrived, mike viewed the car in question for the first time and I was like a school boy all over, waiting patiently for a comment either good or bad.....

thankfully for my sake only the comments shared where positive and made me fell great over the unrestored piece of history I bought many years ago.
the plan is for him to assist me and advise me in preservation of this car for the next 10+ years. and if anyone has ever seen Mikes unrestored 65 examples you know I have the correct man by my side.

He was like a kid in a candy store as well today taking happy snaps for reference.
hopefully I will share some images as we document some things from this car.

its not going to be all work and no play for us boys, plenty of beer, polar bear rum to be consumed and many of my mustangs and other ford cars for him to drive while here.  really looking forward to see how he handles a right hand drive on Australian roads then swap him over to a left hand drive example.

let the fun begin, stay tuned.

ohhh and just to keep Mr Speegle happy the car is question is a very late built (27F) Dearborn 66 coupe c code with automatic trans, manual steer and dealer installed air con, presently has 30,000 ish miles on the clock

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline stangfan

Re: Mike Murray Down Under
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »
Sounds like fun to me!  8)
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline $64stang

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:55:31 PM »
Hey Phil & Mike ,
You guys sound like you will be having fun !
I am on Tybee Island getting ready for the last national
Of the year.
Maybe we can get together in Tucson next spring?
God Bless you Mates,
Jake

Offline $64stang

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 08:57:25 PM »
P.S.
Sounds like a great car Phil. 8)

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »
Awesome '66 Phill, sounds like you resist the urge to drive it very well, not sure I could.

Mike will enjoy his time down under, the Melbourne Concours is the best event to attend down under, I'm sure he'll be surprised at the quantity and quality we have down under.

Pity our footy season has finished, a game at the MCG would've been a good experience for him.

Have a good one mate!
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:52:31 PM »
this thread is worthless without pics!!!! :o :o :o
5F09C331248

Offline stangfan

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 10:20:03 PM »
this thread is worthless without pics!!!! :o :o :o

x 2  ;D
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 01:24:01 AM »
Hi All,
    What a beautiful country. Haven't had much time yet to do much sight seeing, but what I have seen so far is assume .
    Been working on Phill's car for the last couple of days and have a few more to go. The car has a very good exterior and interior. The engine and undercarriage are mostly untouched but very dirty. We are mostly focusing on the drive train because of time constraints but I will be giving tips on how to clean up the running gear.
 Attached are some before pictures.
   I was surprised to see the motor has early style lockes on the manifold bolts as this is a very late 66.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 05:48:25 AM »
Phil
Are you taking any cars there Sunday week
You have shown that car to me on one occasion
Would like to see it again
Regards
Peter
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
   I was surprised to see the motor has early style lockes on the manifold bolts as this is a very late 66.

Definitely odd... checked date codes on manifolds and engine?

Happy that at least one of us from USA can visit Phill, been feeling guilty about that a long time! 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 10:36:41 AM »
Been busy at it for the last few days now, heaps of progress made and still heaps to do in the upcoming days and after mikes departure.  a work in progress as with all our cars.
Heaps of pics taken, some cool paints marks found, date codes taken from engine components, what looks like a rotation number on the passenger fender apron, a possible build sheet on the drivers side apron underneath the sound deadner. Most of the tough to locate original parts are still on the car which is great and in fantastic condition........

probably one of the best decisions I made with this car was to not "stuff" around with at all in my ownership and I think Mike was extremely greatful I left it alone as he didn't have to re-do anything.
I definitely feel a lot more confident in my continued preservation of this car now as mike has been a great teacher and is willing to assist/teach where possible.

I enjoy restored concours examples but geez these unrestred examples really get me excited.
will post some pics soon.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »
Been working on the car for the last week and wow what a difference . This is a very original car and I would be proud to show it. We have focused on the engine compartment and week wells because of time constraints, but the rest will clean up in time. Here are a couple of pictures to show our progress.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 07:17:52 PM »
Looks great!  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
Did this car come with factory AC?

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »
Things I've noticed, general clean up around the engine bay (shock towers, rocker covers), re-routing of the heater hose tucked up along the rocker cover, carby cleaned and thermostat housing and water pump painted (interested to know why the water pump bypass hose is not painted?). Its come up a treat, you must be tempted to get behind the wheel, who's driving Phill or Mike?

Did this car come with factory AC?
the AC was dealer installed as mentioned in the first thread.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:10:21 PM by DM_1964 »
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn