Author Topic: 1965 "A" Code 289 Engine Tag Bolt  (Read 3929 times)

Offline rocket289k

1965 "A" Code 289 Engine Tag Bolt
« on: September 05, 2014, 06:26:33 PM »
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know the proper size / dimensions of the engine tag bolt for a 1965 "A" code 289 that secures the engine tag to the intake manifold? Is it the same size a the coil mounting bolt?

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1965 "A" Code 289 Engine Tag Bolt
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:02:12 PM »
That's not included in the hardware spreadsheet Jim just posted in the Library??
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
That's not included in the hardware spreadsheet Jim just posted in the Library??
It is now, and will show up in future spreadsheet revisions that I'll post. The bolt is: 20312-S( 8) 3/8-16X1/2HEX 9/16, FULL Thread, Grade 2. The finish may be natural, cad or zinc. This is one of the few engine related parts that are not shown in the documents that are readily available, the service manual, Ford Car Parts and the Osborn Assembly Manuals. It is not critical to normal operations so is not serviced, but it is required for judging. My "K" car has it attached to the RH side of the intake manifold just in front of the carburetor. The tag also shows up on the LH intake with certain options. There has been discussion that the metal tag was attached via the temperature sensor on certain 289 engines with smog.
Now that you have opened a can of worms, additional applications for other engines would be appreciated.
The other "change" I made to the master spreadsheet was to add the color to the five plastic protective nuts located in 65-66 fastback trunks above the trap door. I'll thank Jeff again for sending me one to replace the missing piece on my 66 "K" Fastback.
Jim
I fixed the 8) to 8 ), a smiley face is not a valid finish. In the spread sheet where parenthesis are around the finish of a hardware part, it's an indication of editorial opinion. The source document most likely did not list a finish so it's a guess. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:42:25 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 08:41:48 AM »
Off topic, but since we are having some discussion about the spreadsheet...I viewed the list, is there a way to use a ""search feature" to easier locate a particular need?

Richard

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 10:55:32 AM »
Off topic, but since we are having some discussion about the spreadsheet...I viewed the list, is there a way to use a ""search feature" to easier locate a particular need?

Richard

Hi Richard,

You can search the file using basic Excel functionality. 

1 - Download the file to your computer
2 - Open the spreadsheet file
3a - On Windows Press "CTRL-F" (press the CTRL key first and hold and then press the F key) Pressing this key combination opens the search dialogue box in Excel.
3b - On a Mac Press "Command-F" (press the Command key first and hold and then press the F key).  Pressing this key combination opens the search dialogue box in Excel.
4 - Type the term that you are searching for and press enter (Note:  if there are multiple entries you keep pressing the "next" button to see each of the search results).

Happy Searching!

Regards,

Ron
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:27:21 PM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »
It is now, and will show up in future spreadsheet revisions that I'll post. The bolt is: 20312-S(8) 3/8-16X1/2HEX 9/16, FULL Thread, Grade 2. The finish may be natural, cad or zinc. This is one of the few engine related parts that are not shown in the documents that are readily available, the service manual, Ford Car Parts and the Osborn Assembly Manuals. It is not critical to normal operations so is not serviced, but it is required for judging. My "K" car has it attached to the RH side of the intake manifold just in front of the carburetor. The tag also shows up on the LH intake with certain options. There has been discussion that the metal tag was attached via the temperature sensor on certain 289 engines with smog.
Now that you have opened a can of worms, additional applications for other engines would be appreciated.
The other "change" I made to the master spreadsheet was to add the color to the five plastic protective nuts located in 65-66 fastback trunks above the trap door. I'll thank Jeff again for sending me one to replace the missing piece on my 66 "K" Fastback.
Jim

Thanks a bunch Jim.  Sorry to open a can of worms.  :-( On my Metuchen "A" code with factory A/C and Power Steering my tag was located on drivers side of the intake manifold in the area just behind the AC compressor (towards the firewall) just under the front lip of the air cleaner.

Regards,

Ron

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »
Hi Richard,
You can search the file using basic Excel functionality. 
1 - Download the file to your computer
2 - Open the spreadsheet file
3a - On Window Press "CTRL-F" (press the CTRL key first and hold and then press the F key) Pressing this key combination opens the search dialogue box in Excel.
3b - On a MAC Press "Command-F" (press the Command key first and hold and then press the F key).  Pressing this key combination opens the search dialogue box in Excel.
4 - Type the term that you are searching for and press enter (Note:  if there are multiple entries you keep pressing the "next" button to see each of the search results).
Happy Searching!
Regards,
Ron
Ron,
  Thanks for the "how-to". I tend to forget that there are alternatives to my practice of just doing a sort to find what I'm looking for. I started this spreadsheet in Lotus 123 then converted it to Excel. Sorts in Lotus are much easier than Excel but I still manage it in Excel.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 11:17:16 PM »
Ron,
  Thanks for the "how-to". I tend to forget that there are alternatives to my practice of just doing a sort to find what I'm looking for. I started this spreadsheet in Lotus 123 then converted it to Excel. Sorts in Lotus are much easier than Excel but I still manage it in Excel.
Jim

You're welcome Jim.  I remember Lotus 123 (that's a while ago).  I used to use it too.  Actually sorts in Excel are pretty easy too (depending on the version you're using).  If you're using Excel 2010 or newer make use of the "Sort and Filter" button in the toolbar and select "Filter".  That places a "dropdown arrow button" on each column.  You merely click on that and select the term that you'd like Excel to filter your results by.  The "custom sort" option in the same button works well too depending on what you need to do.

Regards,

Ron

Offline 1965 t5

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »
Is the id tag bolt to be left natural finish then - unpainted?

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »
yes.
5F09C331248

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 12:54:50 AM »

Offline blk65fstbk

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 10:09:25 PM »
I also have a 1965 A-code Mustang. I have the engine tag and the bolt. But, I'm trying to determine the correct location to install it. It it matters, my car is a non-A/C, non-PS, non-PB car with a road draft tube and 4-speed manual transmission. It was built in early November 1964. Thanks.
1965 Mustang Fastback
"A" Code 289 V8, 4 Speed Manual Toploader and 3.00:1 Locking Differential
Raven Black Exterior and Black Standard Interior
No PS, PB or A/C
Built November 5, 1964 in Dearborn, MI