Author Topic: Identifying Original '65-66 Disc Master Cylinder?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Identifying Original '65-66 Disc Master Cylinder?
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »
I have what I believe is the original disc brake master cylinder off of my '65 convertible.  Though the master cylinder looks original, I don't know any history on the car aside from the past seven years that I've owned it.  I've got a quote from White Post Restorations about rebuilding the master cylinder, but before I commit to that, I want to be absolutely sure that this is the original master cylinder for the car.  If this isn't the original assembly-line master cylinder, I'll probably buy a re-manufactured master and use this one as a core.

There are some numbers on the bottom of the master cylinder, but I haven't seen anything that looks like a part number or date code.  Is there any other way of seeing whether this is the car's original master cylinder?  It looks like every other '65-66 disc brake master cylinder I've ever seen, but I don't want to go through the trouble/expense of having it rebuilt if it's a replacement.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Re: Identifying Original '65-66 Disc Master Cylinder?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
65 and 66 mastercylenders are different . The 65 mastercylender uses brass adapters that contain the seats for the lines were as the 66 style has them in the mastercylender so dosn't use the adapters. The service part is the 66 style.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:59:21 AM »
I bet this is a service part then, as it didn't have any adapters.  The lines went directly into the master cylinder.  But then again, if someone sectioned the original lines and made new ones, who knows what size fittings are on the "new" lines? 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
65 and 66 mastercylenders are different . The 65 mastercylender uses brass adapters that contain the seats for the lines were as the 66 style has them in the mastercylender so dosn't use the adapters. The service part is the 66 style.
FYI  65 and early 66 used the adapter . Later 66 's did not. It was a early late thing in 66.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »
FYI ,NPD sells a special fitting made to work with a service or later 66 style master so as to give the 65 /early 66 look with the brass fitting  .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
FYI ,NPD sells a special fitting made to work with a service or later 66 style master so as to give the 65 /early 66 look with the brass fitting  .

Good to know.  Thanks, Bob!  I had no idea NPD sold these.

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:08:16 AM »
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A