Author Topic: Correct Radiator Hoses & Clamps - Early 66 SJ  (Read 3248 times)

Offline lancelot66

Correct Radiator Hoses & Clamps - Early 66 SJ
« on: August 19, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »
Looking for a "definitive" answer or guidance on what type of radiator hoses and clamps would be correct for our 1-6-66 build, SJ Fastback. I have previously used both setups: Tower Style clamps with the conventional FoMoCo part numbers on the hoses, and then the 2 wire band style, Kevin Marti has put out, "Pat Pend" FoMoCo part number on the hoses, that were reported to be used as an assembly line experiment at SJ, in order to speed up installation on the line. I have these latter examples on the car presently but got an earfull over the weekend at a Kiwanis Car show (mixed car models) from this guy that likes to bust my chops over correctness every summer season,  over items in my engine compartment that "he" believes to be correct or wrong, in this case. He worked on the Dearborn Assembly line years ago, tells me his responsibility was the AutoLite 4100's, 1st generation car years, ensuring they worked properly, involved with the design of the things. He believes this to be "authoritative enough" to give me the dress down on how a SJ car should be setup, apparently. I do my research, have had my head emersed in '65-'66 cars since I was 17 (now 54) and am tired of this garbage! So am respectfully asking for someone's expertise so I can sleep at night and let him have it the next time he comes walking by our car and pops off at my wife when he walks away, after I've frustrated the hell out of him (told him the original smog stuff was about ready to install back on the car). This in itself was pretty funny because he comes back at me and says that only San Jose cars got factory thermactor emissions and so I simply pointed down at our restored, original to the car, black and gold CA plates...the reaction was priceless. Yes, aware I am venting a little here, I both apologize in advance for this and then thank anyone who would like to steer me in the right direction.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct Radiator Hoses & Clamps - Early 66 SJ
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »
Given your cars plant and when the car was assembled I would expect to see wire clamps at the radiator hoses

IMHO let it go but fully understand.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 03:16:16 PM »
It's sound advice and you are right Jeff. Thank you for this...truely. Very, very grateful.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 6S280

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »
Given your cars plant and when the car was assembled I would expect to see wire clamps at the radiator hoses

IMHO let it go but fully understand.

Jeff, what was the approximate change over date from band to wire clamps at SJ for the 1966 model year?  My car is a late Sept / Oct built car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 02:35:33 AM »
Jeff, what was the approximate change over date from band to wire clamps at SJ for the 1966 model year?  My car is a late Sept / Oct built car.

Best we can do is that the change over was some time around the end of the year 1965 (December) so you car would likely have been equipped with the band style of clamps and the hoses not marked Pat pending as well as having the earlier engineering number printed on them both
Jeff Speegle

Offline Herman

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 12:18:48 AM »
Best we can do is that the change over was some time around the end of the year 1965 (December) so you car would likely have been equipped with the band style of clamps and the hoses not marked Pat pending as well as having the earlier engineering number printed on them both

Jeff sorry to be a pain but do you have any photos? as I would love to see them both the clamps & hoses not mark Pat pending.

Herman
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:43:38 AM by Herman »
Washing, polishing and cleaning stuff some more in an attempt to retain that 'Golden nugget'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 01:02:06 AM »
Jeff to be a pain but do you have any photos? as I would love to see them both the clamps & hoses not mark Pat pending.

One recent and three from 1966

Jeff Speegle

Offline Herman

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 11:47:13 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

Do you have any photos of the 65-66 cross over hoses & wire type clamps?

Herman
Washing, polishing and cleaning stuff some more in an attempt to retain that 'Golden nugget'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 02:49:11 AM »
Thanks Jeff,

Do you have any photos of the 65-66 cross over hoses & wire type clamps?

Not sure of the "cross over" reference. These were installed at San Jose in the latter half (approximately) of 1966 production and  carried on for small block applications into 67 and 68 production

A couple of pictures from 1966 showing the "new" style hoses and clamps

A couple of unrestored examples . As an unusual note the last car is a late 66 NJ built car. Haven't seen the usage from there other than this one example. Puzzling 

Jeff Speegle

Offline Herman

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 05:14:10 AM »
Once again thanks again Jeff, really appreciate it.

Herman