Author Topic: 1966 MUSTANG ROUND BRAKE CYLINDER CAP IS STUCK  (Read 6379 times)

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

1966 MUSTANG ROUND BRAKE CYLINDER CAP IS STUCK
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »
This an original round cap and I don't want to destroy it in the process of removing it to check the brake fluid level.  I have been spraying it with liquid wrench for a couple of weeks and it still won't budge. I bought a harbor fright strap wrench and it ripped in half.  I am looking for a leather strap wrench but have unsuccessfull in locating one.  Any suggestions?

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1966 MUSTANG ROUND BRAKE CYLINDER CAP IS STUCK
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »
Use a web belt cloth type, or destroy the cap. Brake fluid level is more important than a cap.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 04:28:14 PM »
Thanks. It has to come off one way or another.   

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »
I have actually used a very large set of channel lock type pliers, some call them water pump pliers, on the upper part of the cap not where the threads are.. Should come off without destroying the cap. If it does, then besides needing a new cap, ;D, I would clean the threaded portion of the master cylinder before the new cap goes on.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »
+1 to large channel lock pliers. Those worked for me too, once upon a time. It was a manual brake, 6 cyl '66, and no booster to get in my way either, so was easier to get in there. Dented/crushed the cap in a bit and I did go out and get another one, but it came off.

Get yourself something to cover up the reservoir, like a big dixie cup or similar when cleaning the external threaded portion. If any of that rust partical mess gets in there, you'll soon have some other issues, quite possibly. Follow that with some Boeshield maybe too.

Best of luck to you on this.

-Lance
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »
Thanks all of you.  I am going to glue the rubber band off my harbor fright strap wrench to the upper cap portion and gorilla it off with my channel lock pliers.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »
I would probably try using a heat gun on it first.  The thin metal cap "should" expand a little and/or the rubber seal should soften.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 09:52:43 PM »
Oil filter wrench (band style or I've used a piston spring compressor also (used it for removing oil filters also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »
Put a drive-belt around it and pull tight and twist.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:23:15 PM »
Oil filter wrench

This gets my vote too.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 04:50:54 PM »
I think that too, Drummingrocks. Somehting to be said for always keeping handy, a bit of bicycle innertube for stuff like this. Wrap a piece of that around the cap and use that filter wrench and you'd probably save the cap as mentioned. HOWEVER...if you're like me 69cobrajetrugae2, you've probably already tried something and have a result...good or bad by this time!
Keeping the faith for you regardless!
-Lance
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »
Is the master cylinder on or off the car?  Maybe trying heating it up and see if that breaks it loose...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 05:17:56 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't think about heating it. I'll try a hair dryer and your other fine idea's. Thanks!

I assume an original cap is hard to come by.  If I destroy it, does anyone know what an original replacement costs?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 08:55:27 AM »
Personally, if I were REALY having problems getting a cap off to only check the fluid, I might buy a replacement reproduction one and a REBUILD KIT to have on hand, avoiding any down time first (rather cheap and easy to get)

Then, as easy as these Master Cylinders come off of the car, I would probably at this point of having no success trying any methods mentioned above, bring it out and mount it in a vice. Obviously, it has been a while since anyones been into it, right? Probably filthy inside too. I mentioned having a rebuild kit handy (may be seaping some at the push rod anyways.) You might not need it, but it also is cheap insurance. No down time this way. You can always hunt an original cap if you end up destroying it, but with the cylinder OFF, you can really clean up that master cylinder threads, and the whole darn thing while you are there.

Now with cylinder in the vice... on getting the cap off. If HEAT is the answer (maybe so) a hair dryer probably won't be hot enough. Find a heat gun. Gets everything hotter much faster and would possibly expand the metal quickly enough to release it using a quality band clamp or filter wrench as mentioned earlier.

I have another Idea I would try with the cylinder in a vice, I wouldn't try with it mounted in the car. Using the same methods earlier mentioned, or possibly any combination of those methods...excepting the channel locks, that sounds sure to destroy.
While holding an "unscrewing pressure" on say the filter wrench, by using the vibrating effect of an air chisel with a flat or dull chisel end on the hinge or other flat area of whatever tool combination, might shake it loose. Key is not damaging anything here, to also be careful not damaging your tools too. It is tricky, but living in the rust belt, we have to have tricks like these. It also might require more than one set of hands or trying different combinations, but SOMETHING can and most likely WILL work without hurting the original cap.

Is it by chance "REVERSE THREAD"? I've seen that before, but I don't have an early spin-on Mustang brake reservoir and don't remember.

Richard
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:01:42 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 11:47:56 AM »
Originals were not reverse thread.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin