Author Topic: 1968 seat cover retaining wires  (Read 3824 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
1968 seat cover retaining wires
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:31:30 PM »
Working on a 68, both original seats are torn down, ready to put back together with new covers.  I wasn't the one that took them apart, so I'm not sure exactly where the retainer wires go.  There are 8 squiggly ones, 6 short and 2 long and then I have 4 straight long wires.  Anyone have any idea where these go?  I saw 4 pockets on the back of each back rest cover.

Also, there are 4 jute strips that came off the seat frames, but not sure where they go?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:33:49 PM by caspian65 »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1968 seat cover retaining wires
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:35:50 PM »
(I'm going to enjoy this.) Uh, Charles - which plant? Just for reference, San Jose seats were made in Los Angeles.
Actually, the 68 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual has most of the general guidelines for seat construction. From what seats I've reassembled there's not that much difference between years 64 thru 68 standard seats.
Large burlap first. The wires woven into the burlap are the most time consuming part of this entire operation. There's a single 4 inch wide felt strip long enough to go around the front and side edges of the frame to reduce chaffing. I've seen gray and brown felt used. Use spray adhesive to hold it in place.
Squiggly wires are on the seat cover edge to hold hog rings to the interior of the seat. The long and shorts are attached to the springs first thru the burlap, then get hog rings thru the foam to hold the foam. Use the cut in the foam to figure out their position.
The strips "may" be used on the seat backs between the springs and frame.
I'm in the middle of doing some phosphating of hood hinges and latches (bead blast phase right now) so if you can bear with me, I find my seat assembly notes and get back to you.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:12:26 PM »
(I'm going to enjoy this.) Uh, Charles - which plant? Just for reference, San Jose seats were made in Los Angeles.

To be more correct and clear for others (sure you know this ;)  the seat frames were not made at the plant. They were covered at the plants as shown in those San Jose pictures
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »
First thing I did was check the assembly manual and then the Ford shop manual for '68.  The assembly manual does not go into the detail that I was looking for and the '68 shop manual actually shows the '67 style seat.

Not sure if you are aware Jim, but the '68 seats are totally different than previous years.  In general, it's similar layers, but the frames and many other parts are different.  I'm not sure if any parts at all interchange with 65-67.

Nov '67 Metuchen car.

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:20:13 PM »
Reading the above advise, I am a bit confused.  Those wires get inserted to the underside of the seat covers.  There is a cloth tube between the bolsters and the seat insert.  The wires line up with the cutouts in the seat foam and when the seat covers are on, you need to push them to the bottom of the cutouts and hog ring them to the frame.  (I can't remember if you can see them from the bottom thru the foam) This is done before you hog ring the bolsters so you can keep the seat cover tight.  The reason those wires must be hog ringed is it keeps the seat insert pulled down and looking good.  I have seen these wires not transferred from the original seats covers, and the seats look relaxed (loose and sloppy).  The new seat covers do not have these wires.  I hope this makes sense.  LOL 
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:33:24 PM »
No, there are 'U' shape rods that feed into the face of the covers, not these straight ones.  I know that I need 4 rods for the back of each back-rest, but that leaves 4 extra ones that have me puzzled. 

Figured out where the jute strips go.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »
Charles I have seen the strait wire set up on the rear seat but only the U shape as described above by Something Special. What was the build date of the car? I think I have seen the heavy squiggly one used at the bottom rear underneath.
Marty

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:10:06 PM »
Charles I have seen the strait wire set up on the rear seat but only the U shape as described above by Something Special. What was the build date of the car? I think I have seen the heavy squiggly one used at the bottom rear underneath.
Marty

Marty: I don't see where he mentioned the U-shape.  I thought he was saying instead of U-shape they were straight rods?  I have all 4 U-shape originals for this car.

There are 8 squiggly ones, 6 short and 2 long, I suspect those go into the back of the back-rests.  Not sure where the 4 long ones went, maybe the original seats had a pocket on the bottom cover ends, which the repro do not.  I decided to use the squiggly ones on the back of the back-rests, guess the other 4 straight will be a mystery.

I put the build date of the car in the post above.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 11:55:03 PM »
Our 68 GT350 was built 12-02-67 at Metuchen and it has the original covers. I can check it.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:50:01 PM »
Here are the pictures of the original 68 seat retaining wires. The wiggly ones held the bottom of the seat base piece.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:52:45 PM by ruppstang »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 12:14:24 AM »
Thanks.  The repro seat covers don't have pockets for the rods, guess I didn't need them.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »
I use TMI covers and I guess you would not have to use the rods but I still clip the rolled seam and slide the wire in. It gives it a bit more support.
Marty

Offline Oz390

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 11:15:14 PM »
IIRC the TMI have a plastic strip sewn to the edges of the upholstery, where the OEMs used a pocket to hold the squiggly wires.  These kept the underside of the upholstery attached to the seat frame, and the sides of the back, from pulling thru the hog ring over time...

HTH
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 11:33:23 PM »
Yes, most of the repro covers do not have the wire pockets on the bottom.  Done quite a few sets of seats, but just couldn't remember where those squiggly ones would have gone.

Thanks

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 09:58:06 PM »
These are TMI covers I purchased in the last 6 months. They do not have the plastic sewn in. There was a pocket that I could slide the wire in.
Marty
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:03:12 PM by ruppstang »