Author Topic: Shock tower brace mounting at firewall - above or below pinch weld?  (Read 5612 times)

Offline tony 63C

Hello again,

I’ve run a scan through the threads first to check if this question has been covered before, to no avail.  Re the shock tower braces and how they bolt up at the fire wall pinch weld, is there a correct installation – i.e on top of the pinch weld, or below?  Or is this another case where it was dependent on the factory or preference of the worker?

Many thanks in advance!   
Tony

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Shock tower brace mounting at firewall - above or below pinch weld?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »
Below, pet peeve of mine.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline tony 63C

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 05:53:47 PM »
Hello Scott, and thank you for your reply. 

While we’re at it, in the photo showing the car with the incorrect brace placement you can see the air cleaner using the “FRONT” decal.  Never having seen an original 1969 surviving air cleaner housing with such a decal I’ve questioned if this is correct or just a ‘fantasy’ application.  If such a decal was used in 1969 was it specific to any of the assembly plants?  (I’ll respect he moderator’s call to start a new thread for this question if necessary.)

Cheers, and thanks again,
Tony       

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:06:57 PM »
While we’re at it, in the photo showing the car with the incorrect brace placement you can see the air cleaner using the “FRONT” decal.  Never having seen an original 1969 surviving air cleaner housing with such a decal I’ve questioned if this is correct or just a ‘fantasy’ application.  If such a decal was used in 1969 was it specific to any of the assembly plants?  (I’ll respect he moderator’s call to start a new thread for this question if necessary.)

IMHO the only reason your seeing a FRONT decal is that its included in some decal kits and owners figure that they need to use all of them - as well as the CAUTION FAN :(

Did check pictures from all three plants and the findings support Scott's reply.   You can never tell what differences you'll find between plants and time periods :)

Good question - not one I've seen anyone else ever ask

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:36:28 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 03:59:34 PM »
Just some trivia;  The 70 shock tower brace has a extra bit of metal added to that end.  I have been told this was added for extra strength/stiffness at the firewall connection.  Installs one way only.  The bottom.  Brian
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:01:10 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline tony 63C

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »
Hello Jeff,

Thank you for clarifying the matter of the “FRONT” decal, and also for the prod to get rid of my CAUTION FAN decal! (which was applied by the car’s previous owner) 

As a brief aside, I’m a new member here and have noted your generous devotion to answering countless questions over the years.  In my short time here I’ve learned much from reading your replies.  Being a web forum mod myself (WW2 history/collecting - my other hobby) I know full well how much work this can take.  So at least from this corner you can know that your selfless work is much appreciated.  Thank you again.

Brian, thanks for your post.  Yes, I’m aware of this additional reinforcement added to the 1970 cars.  And I’ve seen these recommended as a stock appearing modification for ’69 cars.  I suppose that this added section is welded to the brace?

Cheers,
Tony

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 11:15:33 PM »
Thanks Tony for the kind words. But we all learn from each other, from discussion and from respectful challenging "current understandings"  Hard not to share as much as possible when I've been prodding others for years - reminding that none of us can control knowledge

We've come along way in the last 10-15 years. The future of the hobby belongs to the newer, younger members here especially in the late model areas. So much need and possibly less effort if they act quickly

Welcome to the site and for participating
Jeff Speegle

Offline Rusty

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 04:06:13 PM »
Just some trivia;  The 70 shock tower brace has a extra bit of metal added to that end.  I have been told this was added for extra strength/stiffness at the firewall connection.  Installs one way only.  The bottom.  Brian

Brian....Your reply says that the 70 shock tower brace has the extra metal piece on the bottom of the brace at the firewall end but the photos are labeled 69. Can you clarify that please? I have a 69 Mach 1 390 and I'm looking for the correct braces.
Rusty Maddox

1969 Mach 1, 390
Actual Build Date:  11/1/68
Assembly Plant:  Metuchen, NJ
VIN:  9T02S129xxx

63C    T5     3A     05L      24       6       5
Body  Color  Trim  Date   D.S.O.  Axle  Trans.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 05:31:10 PM »
Brian....Your reply says that the 70 shock tower brace has the extra metal piece on the bottom of the brace at the firewall end but the photos are labeled 69. Can you clarify that please? I have a 69 Mach 1 390 and I'm looking for the correct braces.

You can find originals both ways - with and without the supports on the 390 cars. Since you have a NJ 69 S code here are two pictures with what appears to be their original shock tower supports. Both NJ 390 69's

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 08:38:39 PM »
You can find originals both ways - with and without the supports on the 390 cars. Since you have a NJ 69 S code here are two pictures with what appears to be their original shock tower supports. Both NJ 390 69's

To add to the discussion we don't want to forget 69 convertibles got them typically regardless of big block or small block.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Rusty

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »
Thanks for the photos Jeff.
Rusty Maddox

1969 Mach 1, 390
Actual Build Date:  11/1/68
Assembly Plant:  Metuchen, NJ
VIN:  9T02S129xxx

63C    T5     3A     05L      24       6       5
Body  Color  Trim  Date   D.S.O.  Axle  Trans.

Offline rayms69

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
So the strut tower supports with the extra piece of metal reinforcement are correct if you have a convertible or big block car?
10-26-1969 Dearborn 428 SCJ auto

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »
So the strut tower supports with the extra piece of metal reinforcement are correct if you have a convertible or big block car?

Believe that was Ford plan in 69, with the addition of Boss 302's. Can't find any non-BB Mustang convertibles with the extra support plate though on the fe dozen examples I have pictures of. 

So basically cars that heavy duty shock towers receive them. Looks like (possibly) all Cougars got them - which would conform to the same HD shock tower match statement
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:20:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Shock tower braces - some with reinforcement?
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 05:42:20 PM »
I am not seeing the 1967-68 shock tower braces (those without reinforcement), on the 1969-70 Mercury Cougars.

1969-70 6 cylinder and small block Mustangs also didn't have the reinforced shock towers. All 1969-70 Cougars have wrap around, or reinforced shock towers. Maybe these two things go hand in hand?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Shock tower braces - some with reinforcement?
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 06:17:13 PM »
To add to the discussion we don't want to forget 69 convertibles got them typically regardless of big block or small block.

Bob not seeing the additional supports on 69 Mustang convertibles of all engine types. Shelbys = yes :)

1969-70 6 cylinder and small block Mustangs also didn't have the reinforced shock towers.

Well except for the Boss 302's as mentioned and those mistake cars   :o

All 1969-70 Cougars have wrap around, or reinforced shock towers. Maybe these two things go hand in hand?

Believe that was the plan
Jeff Speegle