Author Topic: Help Installing '67 Rear Window Stainless  (Read 1336 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Help Installing '67 Rear Window Stainless
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:48:56 PM »
Hi guys, I'm finishing up the headliner replacement on my '67, and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the rear stainless along the bottom of the back window to clip into place.  I'm starting to wonder if maybe I have the wrong clips installed?  From what I remembered when I took the car apart, it had the longer clips only along the top of the roofline, where that weird rolled piece of stainless clips into place.  I don't remember any other locations on the car having those longer clips, and I'm 90% sure that it didn't have them along the bottom of the rear window either.

That being said, I'm still having a heck of a time getting the lower rear window trim installed.  I've got the area full of sealer (bedding & glazing compound), which I know is complicating things.  I've got all of the other stainless installed both front and rear, and this rear trim piece is about to drive me crazy!  Every time I think I have one of the clips engaged, the trim piece pops loose (which tells me it was never fully engaged to begin with). 

Can anyone verify that this lower piece doesn't take the longer clips?  Again, I'm using the same short clips that go around the front windshield area.  And if I'm just doing something wrong, could someone offer some pointers on how to install this piece? 

Thanks!  Also, I've attached a picture of the area I'm talking about.   :)

Too much junk, too little time.

Offline ruppstang

Re: Help Installing '67 Rear Window Stainless
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 08:47:44 AM »
You are correct that only the top piece uses the long clips. The bottom uses the same clip as the windshield. Check the bottom edge of the molding and see if there is any damage where the clip engages it. I have had this trouble too and think it could be the thickness or shape of the window seal. I all way mark the locations of the clips before I install the molding. If it does not snap in I have used a piece of very soft wood about 3/4 X 4 X 4 with the end corners rounded to tap at the clip locations. I can not caution you enough to stay on the rear edge of the molding with the block, this piece dents very very easy. Take your time and if you are getting frustrated walk a way it will save you more trouble. Good luck
Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:32:26 AM »
You are correct that only the top piece uses the long clips. The bottom uses the same clip as the windshield. Check the bottom edge of the molding and see if there is any damage where the clip engages it. I have had this trouble too and think it could be the thickness or shape of the window seal. I all way mark the locations of the clips before I install the molding. If it does not snap in I have used a piece of very soft wood about 3/4 X 4 X 4 with the end corners rounded to tap at the clip locations. I can not caution you enough to stay on the rear edge of the molding with the block, this piece dents very very easy. Take your time and if you are getting frustrated walk a way it will save you more trouble. Good luck
Marty

+1

Generally, they are a whole lot easier to do the bottom molding as opposed to the top molding (on cars with the vinyl roof) So if you got the top one on already, you should be over the difficult one.
My thoughts are that the clips could have been tweaked if a molding removal tool was used to release the molding back when you took it off. So besides the molding possibly getting damaged, double check the condition of the clips. A visual check that the lip of the clip is against the body of the car, that is what you want to see, (easier before gooping it up with the sealant) Next you want to be absolutely sure you insert the molding on the correct side of all the clips. Really easy to miss one or two so it's more of a "feel" than something you see because the molding is blocking the view. Once you "feel" each one into place then ever so gently tap it down as Marty mentioned with a soft wood block (and a soft cloth to prevent scratching)

I have had this very problem before when putting a new vinyl top on. We all like to use the fancy tools that were designed to help us, but more often than not, we still need to learn how to use them according to the tools limitations (school of hard knocks seems to be the best teacher) The molding tool is designed primarily to keep from damaging the molding, not so much to save the clips. I learned a trick in removing many types of window moldings years ago from a glass guy I watched who didn't like to damage either the molding or the clips. Depending on the type of molding and how much contour the molding had, he would simply grab the molding with both hands and slide it sideways off of the clips. (maybe releasing only a corner clip with the tool to get a good firm grasp) He worked like a lightning bolt changing out glass daily so this little "trick" helped me out a lot.

Hope you get it back on quickly and easily.

Richard
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:35:07 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 04:49:04 PM »
Marty and Richard, thanks for your help. I learned the hard way last night about staying on the very bottom of the piece.  I fixed the area I messed up, sanded and buffed it, and then called it a night.  You're right in that sometimes it's best just to walk away.  I'm glad that I have the clips in correctly.  All of the clips are new, and were tweaked slightly before installing to release a little of the tension.  I learned that trick from the Mustangs to Fear windshield installation video.

I've already marked all of the clip locations and am about to give it another go.  I'm really glad this car doesn't have a vinyl top.  This is frustrating enough without it!!!   :o
Too much junk, too little time.