Author Topic: Bypass hose  (Read 1575 times)

Offline scjmach

Bypass hose
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:46:28 AM »
I have a 64 1/2 D code July 3 Dearborn Coupe with a 64,000 mile untouched engine.  The bypass hose and clamps are not painted and do not show any signs of ever being painted.  Doesn't concourse judging require this hose and clamps to be painted engine color?  All appears to be original.  Thanks in advance.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Bypass hose
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »
The clamps will be dated, so verify that first.

It would be very unusual for a 50 year old car and having that many miles for this part to be original.

To be concours-correct, there ought to be paint on the hose and clamps.  The amount can vary.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »

It would be very unusual for a 50 year old car and having that many miles for this part to be original.

To be concours-correct, there ought to be paint on the hose and clamps.  The amount can vary.
To add to the discussion - the bypass clamps were added at the engine plant and the heater hose clamps were added at the Ford assemblyline. The clamps on the bypass hose are different when compared to the heater hose clamps . On the bypass clamps the band is slightly narrower, the space across the base of the "tower" is narrower and the screw size is smaller although the head is the same. If the bypass clamps are the same as the heater hose clamps in all dimensions then they most likely have been  changed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline scjmach

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 06:39:40 PM »
Thank you Bob and Charles for the very prompt and detailed response.  I will go home and check the dates and dimensions of the clamps.  BTW, this car was bought new by my father in July of 64. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 11:58:35 PM »
To add to the confusion of confirming original paint consider that the chemicals in the rubber hoses and painting over a plated surface does not insure that paint will stick to the surface for any long period of time. One fo the first places it chips and falls off IMHO or comes off with any cleaning or even spraying of the engine with any hard stream of water
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 06:39:12 AM »

It would be very unusual for a 50 year old car and having that many miles for this part to be original..

I fully agree. First on the hose itself npt making it 60K. That hose carried super-heated coolant. The first to go of all radiator hoses, generally good for about 2-5 years only (maybe 40K) Then I question the "finish" on the clamps. Close up, the plating looks incorrect to me. Almost looks like old chrome parts...and I didn't seen any other markings other than the white stripe on the hose.

I'm no Concours expert. but I have removed countless original hoses from daily driven 1960's cars from as early as 1974.(when they were roughly 10 years old) A collector car might be somewhat different since it might not see as much continuous driving. In any case, that's my feel from what I see.

As an effort in qualifying my opinion, a little personal history. I've been turning wrenches since 1972. I still do today and own a garage.  As early as the mid-70's, if we saw an original hose,  it was a prompt to change it NOW, before it blows! Then in the later 70's, since I was in Southern California, I changed COUNTLESS out at that time working at a garage in the low desert area.

Again, just my opinion. All original by-pass hoses changed out at that time did have paint and the clamps didn't look that much like your pictures IMHO

Richard
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:00:28 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline scjmach

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »
More information on the bypass hose.  The band is slightly narrower than the heater hose clamps.  The threads are also slightly smaller.   I never noticed that before.   I talked to the original owner again and he said it was never replaced.  (BTW the original owner was a Ford dealership mechanic at the time he purchased the car and was until he went on his own in 1979.)  He also did a stint with the Ford Drag Team in 1969 and 1970.  He is the only person that ever touched a wrench to the car.  He even did the dealer prep.
This is not a big deal, I was just curious why there is no paint.  Maybe it got damaged and replaced at the engine assembly plant after the engine was painted.  I really respect the amount detailed knowledge of the people on this site and thank everyone for their input.  I have intentionally not cleaned the hose or clamps if anyone would like more pictures.