Author Topic: san jose G2 radiator  (Read 2566 times)

Offline mustang6er

san jose G2 radiator
« on: June 16, 2014, 01:24:45 AM »
I've got a radiator that came with a car i bought, a '65 A code 4-speed Dec 28 build w/factory a/c, the radiator appears original and i have no reason that its not, but the top tank numbers look like they have been changed and the fill neck is "clocked" wrong, anyone out there seen one like it? it does not have cooler line fittings in the bottom tank so i'm sure its for a manual trans. What do you think? could that have been done at the factory? it was taken off the road and parked since 1980. Thanks

Offline mustang6er

Re: san jose G2 radiator
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 02:31:15 AM »
Yea, SJ build, i dont want to damage it, i know the original owner to the car, and i dont think he was concerned about originality especially way back then.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
I've got a radiator that came with a car i bought, a '65 A code 4-speed Dec 28 build w/factory a/c, the radiator appears original and i have no reason that its not, but the top tank numbers look like they have been changed and the fill neck is "clocked" wrong, anyone out there seen one like it? it does not have cooler line fittings in the bottom tank so i'm sure its for a manual trans. What do you think? could that have been done at the factory? it was taken off the road and parked since 1980. Thanks
The rad neck being clocked wrong is more of a issue then the "G" being out of the ordinary IMO. I have seen that before but I am not sure if that was a serious factory attempt or someone else's attempt to correct the application code. I haven't seen the cap neck clocked wrong before but the two issues may be related .  Too bad regardless of reason it will always be a source of controversy and not a piece very many people would fool with over a comparable no problem 4 speed radiator even without a "G" . A no problem 65 radiator with the raised "G"radiator is worth about 1500 -3000 depending on if restored or not because they are often missing on 65 GT350's . I picked up a comparable "G" but was a 66 style with the engineering number on the tag soldered to the tank and it is probably only worth 250-400.00 in comparison. FYI The ones with the C4ZE  on the metal tag with the application letter and number are not appropriate for 65 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 02:47:40 PM »
The brazed tag over the stamped letter is something we see on some 64-55 San Jose cars. Figured it might be where the supplier was making do with other lids/tops when they ran short for an order. The fill neck is likely an opps but as Bob mentioned something that would haunt an owner and continue to remind them of the flaw every time they showed the car or opened the hood if they are interested in showing or details

Not sure if it could be fixed by a old school radiator shop but might be worth asking
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)