Author Topic: 65 K-Code markings  (Read 5250 times)

Offline daniel80

65 K-Code markings
« on: June 14, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »
Hello to all the experts,

I own a ´65 K-Code FB GT Deluxe from San Jose and I have found some markings I´d like to decipher. I have searched this forum as well as others but haven´t found a final answer.
Attached you can find four pictures. The first two are from the radiator support. The "X" is on the driver side, the "yellow ring" on the passenger side, where the fog light wire comes out. According to previous posts the "X" could indicate the GT option.
The third picture shows the passenger door with a black "x".
The last one shows the bottom of the seat-back of the passenger seat (looks like chalk).

Can anyone shed some light on that?
Thank you very much for your help.
Daniel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 K-Code markings
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »
The first two are from the radiator support.
The "X" is on the driver side....................,According to previous posts the "X" could indicate the GT option.

What color is the exterior of the car. Have not seen the X related to the GT package at San Jose in 65

the "yellow ring" on the passenger side, where the fog light wire comes out.

Seen it a few times. It seems IMHO to be a help or a guide for the hand held installation of the hole

The third picture shows the passenger door with a black "x".

Just one of many checks or confirmations IMHO that indicated that something was completed. Could even be a poorly written "4" from one of the installers

The last one shows the bottom of the seat-back of the passenger seat (looks like chalk).

Second rotation number. You might want to check the rear seat (bottom cushion) for the same number. Normally passenger side bolster
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline daniel80

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 12:46:45 PM »
Hello Jeff,

thank you very much for your quick and helpful reply.
The exterior color is Wimbledon white. The scheduled build date was 24U.
Is the "X" only a marking indicating a final check?

Greetings,
Daniel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:06:22 PM »
First takes for at least a time period since these things can relate sometimes to short period when specific workers worked at specific stations.

The GT light holes is one of these examples - Here are two more examples from San Jose during the weeks prior or the same time  that your car was being likely built

Is the "X" only a marking indicating a final check?

Maybe - we'll never know for sure until we find and are told by the worker that applied it. Often found - normally not in that location IMHO  that year and plant
Jeff Speegle

Offline daniel80

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 12:23:17 PM »
Hello Jeff,

thank you for your very helpful answers. I hope that´s interesting for others as well.
Daniel

Offline daniel80

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:45:12 AM »
Hello,

I had a closer look at my radiator support and found some additional markings I wanted to share.
I´ve read that the "K" stands for the engine, but it´s not for sure what the "D" means, is that correct?
Another nice find was the spare key container, I have never seen such an item before on a car, it is mounted with a magnet.

Greetings,
Daniel

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 09:33:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  I've found one of those magnetic spare key boxes before.  Was cool, had a nice original key in it!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
I had a closer look at my radiator support and found some additional markings I wanted to share.
I´ve read that the "K" stands for the engine, but it´s not for sure what the "D" means, is that correct?

Thanks for sharing - yes for San Jose 65-66 the engine designation was typically applied to the front cross member if it was either a 6 cylinder or a K code. The thought is that since the C and A codes made up the vast majority of production they would just leave those blank (since they used the same parts for the workers using these marks as a guide)  to save work and time for the guy marking the cars. These marks can move around a little depending on the guy that applied them but the front cross member this year is where I've found the vast majority of them

You can find the D applied in a number of locations depending on the specific worker there that shift (when the car was built)

Have not found any worker that can explain the purpose or when it was applied in the process
Jeff Speegle

Offline daniel80

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 01:59:58 PM »
Hello,

thank you for your answers. I have just seen that some of the pictures are displayed the other way around.

Looking forward to some future questions on my car  :D

Greetings
Daniel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 08:35:50 PM »
Hello,

thank you for your answers. I have just seen that some of the pictures are displayed the other way around.

Not sure what the "other way around" referred to. Have seen three K's, two K 's and a D, and three K's and the D
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 07:54:27 AM »
The photos of the "K" are so close-up that I am having trouble figuring out where they are.  One on the rad support vertical on the battery side and one on the rad support horizontal below the radiator?  Guessing.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »
The photos of the "K" are so close-up that I am having trouble figuring out where they are.  One on the rad support vertical on the battery side and one on the rad support horizontal below the radiator?  Guessing.

Believe he found his running across the face of the front #1 cross member below the radiator support. His cropping and rotation had it a challenge ;)
But he did share and try

From an Oct 64 example - as mentioned there are a number of different ways/order these were applied depending on the worker applying them. They all got the job done :)

Jeff Speegle

Offline daniel80

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 05:03:11 AM »
Hello,
@ Jeff: I´m sorry for my English, but as this is not my mother language I really try my best (I am from Austria). "The other way around" was refering to the pictures, which where "bottom up" (I couldn´t see it in the preview). Also thank you for the clarification you did on the question from rockhouse66, yes the markings are on the front cross member below the radiator support.

I really appreciate your professional help and advise.
Greetings,
Daniel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 10:21:51 PM »
Hello,
@ Jeff: I´m sorry for my English, but as this is not my mother language I really try my best (I am from Austria)..................

No problem - often it feels like its not my first language either  :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 12:03:57 AM »
"Seen it a few times. It seems IMHO to be a help or a guide for the hand held installation of the hole "

I was looking at the pic of the fog light wire hole closely and I have the swirl mark (looks like from a drill??) near the hole.  We're these drilled by hand at the dealer ship instead of stamped at the factory?