Author Topic: 65-66 Heater Delete  (Read 5266 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
65-66 Heater Delete
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
Thought I would share some pictures of what makes up the heater delete option for others to see and discuss. Unfortunately I don't have a collection of all of these parts so I have to rely on my collection of pictures instead ;)

Because of where the car was being shipped, optioned or how the original buyer choose a very few Mustangs each year received no heater.

65-66 Heater Delete

Before the interior firewall pad was installed a semi-gloss black painted heater delete panel was installed to the firewall on the passenger side and two rubber plugs were installed (pushed in) the heater hose holes

This well used example (68 Dearborn) shows the heater punch out still in place

On the passenger side interior where the heater normally would attach to the cowl vent a special duct with manually operated door was installed in place of the heater.

And in place of the heater controls a small plastic plate was installed which had s metal bar on the back to retain it to the dash surface

At the engine the heater hose connections were capped off using short rubber plugs and the normal (for the year) heater hose clamps
On cars with this option a firewall plate was installed before the firewall pad was installed. On factory firewalls some of the holes were punched and the section was removed or in the case of a heater delete the section was prepunched but the section was left attached

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
Re: 65-66 Heater Delete
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 11:10:15 PM »
Maybe of the path a little but I have seen where the r model Shelby's had no heaters for obvious reasons. Would these cars have had the same procedure followed at the factory for heater delete or would their heaters have been removed during the Shelby conversions? Curious?
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:31:11 PM »
Jeff - nice info.  I am confused about the picture of the firewall plate where there appear to be studs or bolts with the normal heater box/blower motor attaching nuts used.  There are no studs in the blockoff plate, so where did these "studs" or bolts come from?  I have seen photos where, instead, sheet metal screws were used to retain the plate - installed from inside the car. 

Like this one;

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 12:43:58 AM »
Maybe of the path a little but I have seen where the r model Shelby's had no heaters for obvious reasons. Would these cars have had the same procedure followed at the factory for heater delete or would their heaters have been removed during the Shelby conversions? Curious?

Depends on the specific car. In most cases the specific bodies were ordered with the expectation that those cars become R models and if ordered that way the heaters would have never been installed at San Jose.

Jeff - nice info.  I am confused about the picture of the firewall plate where there appear to be studs or bolts with the normal heater box/blower motor attaching nuts used.  There are no studs in the blockoff plate, so where did these "studs" or bolts come from? 

Some of the R B W bolts we see so often at San Jose is what I've seen used.

I have seen photos where, instead, sheet metal screws were used to retain the plate - installed from inside the car. 

Like this one;

Have seen screws used on 68's - might be a plant thing have only seen the screws on one 68 Dearborn installation. Of course in that application the worker would have to address the now open unused holes where the heater bolted on - making an additional step and possibly cost time when compared to using the heater holes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 01:00:10 PM »
Since I have access to an original heater delete setup, I thought I would add to Jeff's info.  I am adding a photo of the firewall insulation pad "knockout" for the heater.  A heater delete car would still have this piece of the pad in place.

Also, the complete setup would include two thin black cardboard or pressed board pieces to cover the openings for the defroster ducts beneath the grill on top of the dash.  I have one of these, but don't have it handy to take a photo.

Finally, the firewall block off plate we have does have witness marks where it was attached through the sheet metal screw holes, so perhaps these were installed both ways in '65-'66.  Then again, could be a plant thing.  This kit apparently came from San Jose because of the SJ style firewall pad.

Jim
'66 GT FB