Author Topic: Beware Mustang Masters  (Read 9111 times)

Offline barnetto

Beware Mustang Masters
« on: June 06, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
I was looking at a 67 10 spoke wheel at Mustang Masters today at Carlisle. I asked one of the MM crew how much they wanted for the wheel. He said he would have to ask "the Man" for a price. He came back with a price of $95, which is quite a bargain. I asked the MM guy if that was the price for the 10 spoke wheel again just to make sure. He said yes, he was sure and that the other 10 spoke next to it with slight damage was $85.
 I gave the fellow the money and took the wheel. I was going to a nearby vendor spot that a friend has so I could store the wheel for the day. I had walked for approximately 5 minutes when I was surrounded by the owner of MM and two other MM workers. The owner was loud and told me he was not going to sell me that wheel. I told him that I had asked his helper two or three times if that was the correct price and that I bought the wheel fair and square. The MM owner said, "here's your money" then pushed the $95 at me and pulled the wheel from me.
 I went to Carlisle Event Security and was informed that MM may not have acted in an ethical manner, but there was nothing they could do.
 This is the first post I have written with a negative view of someone. I felt that it was necessary to inform people of how this vendor does business.

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

Re: Beware Mustang Masters
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »
Some guys don't know what it means to be  "man of your word".  I guarantee you MM lost business by mistreating you. Don't feel bad or feel you are out of line by relating your buying experience. You may have saved a fellow board member from a similar deal. Thank you for speaking up.

What is the going price for such a wheel, just curious?

Offline barnetto

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 10:41:04 PM »
 Depending on condition, $250-$500.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:54:59 PM »
That's crazy, never heard of that happening before.  Just reinforces the opinion that many have of this particular vendor.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 11:12:17 PM »
Had a seller hunt me down at one point - seems his wife (who was watching his vendor spot) sold me a part that he either thought was worth more than he sold it for, believed that if I purchased it it was worth more or (as he stated) forgot he put it out and it was already sold.   In any case didn't need the part so I sold it back. If I had needed it or he had brought a couple of "helpers" along my response and the outcome I believe would have been very different.

I would guess you can get satisfaction in the long run by getting everyone you can to to swing by these sellers at every swap meet and have them simply as - "are you the guys that take back parts once you sell them?"  or "if I buy this part are you going to come back later asking for it back in a couple of minutes?"

A few of those every swap meet for a year will be a small reminder ;)

Just me I think that way some times   8)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 04:27:39 AM »
Wow, 250 to 500?  Is it the Shelby wheel or something else.  What good is one, don't you need a set? Send a pic I would like to see it!

I guess if one gets a smoking deal on a part at a swap meet it's time to high tail it your car and stash it.  If the knucklehead tracks you down and wants it back, tell him you bought it for your friend and he has it.  Describe him as 6 foot 6 with a beard, part of his nose is missing, and he is wearing a dirty biker jacket. 

Offline kcodecoupe

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 06:00:56 AM »
Thats MM fast freddie for ya .

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 08:44:07 AM »
I was looking at a 67 10 spoke wheel at Mustang Masters today at Carlisle. I asked one of the MM crew how much they wanted for the wheel. He said he would have to ask "the Man" for a price. He came back with a price of $95, which is quite a bargain. I asked the MM guy if that was the price for the 10 spoke wheel again just to make sure. He said yes, he was sure and that the other 10 spoke next to it with slight damage was $85.
 I gave the fellow the money and took the wheel. I was going to a nearby vendor spot that a friend has so I could store the wheel for the day. I had walked for approximately 5 minutes when I was surrounded by the owner of MM and two other MM workers. The owner was loud and told me he was not going to sell me that wheel. I told him that I had asked his helper two or three times if that was the correct price and that I bought the wheel fair and square. The MM owner said, "here's your money" then pushed the $95 at me and pulled the wheel from me.
 I went to Carlisle Event Security and was informed that MM may not have acted in an ethical manner, but there was nothing they could do.
 This is the first post I have written with a negative view of someone. I felt that it was necessary to inform people of how this vendor does business.
An internet search will turn up hundreds of warnings against "Fast Freddie". Same story, different location
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 1Hotboss

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 11:06:53 PM »
I was at his location a few times over the past few days at Carlisle, I also have read varies "bad" references about Freddy, but in all due fairness, but not to make excuses for him, and he should maybe conduct his business differently at the swap meet, he was being bombarded with tons of requests from his support staff, constant requests for prices for this or that etc...no excuse for what happened..but I can see how a mistake could easily been made...if a mistake like this was made and he then realized it he could have handled it differently but easily made...

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 12:26:17 AM »
I would have called the police and file charges for theft and assault

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »
I was at his location a few times over the past few days at Carlisle, I also have read varies "bad" references about Freddy, but in all due fairness, but not to make excuses for him, and he should maybe conduct his business differently at the swap meet, he was being bombarded with tons of requests from his support staff, constant requests for prices for this or that etc...no excuse for what happened..but I can see how a mistake could easily been made...if a mistake like this was made and he then realized it he could have handled it differently but easily made...
Mistake's are easily made BUT still a mistake on the part of the seller. Once money changes hands so does ownership of the part. Seller should have been upset with himself and his group and not the buyer and taken his loss. THAT IS WHAT IS CUSTOMERY in these rare instances. I and many others have been in the same position. You take your lumps and move on. For a mistake that the seller himself made ,to go and be CONFRONATIONAL to the buyer is a bad idea in any rational persons point of view. The seller pleading for consideration because of his mistake is the customary response if any.The intimidation factor apparently was high at the confrontation from the description. I can understand how taking the money back even under duress made it complicated for the  security or the police to intercede. Some consolation for the buyer in that because of this post and others started will no doubt haunt FF for a LONG time and cost him way more then he EVERY hoped to recover from his mistake sale.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1Hotboss

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »
I am in no means justifying how Freddy handled it, just mentioning I can see how the mistake was made, easily done, definitely should have been handled differently on his end, with no confrontation, maybe a discussion with the new owner of the part or with his staff etc, but again we need to look at who we are dealing with here.

Offline barnetto

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 06:53:41 PM »
Bob, that was exactly my feeling when three people were around me. He could have brought the one who sold the wheel to correctly identify me. Instead, he brought two people with him to intimidate me while he got loud and demanded the wheel back. He never mentioned splitting the difference for the wheel or working out the problem. I believe he was embarrassed and overreacted. Not a good way to run a business.

Offline Mustang Masters

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 01:32:50 AM »
First I want to thank all of our loyal customers who are on this forum and have supported us for the 30 + years we have been in business.  Every situation can be viewed from two different sides and look totally different, as this one will appear after you begin to understand my perspective.  I hope the explanation of this unfortunate misunderstanding can overcome this barrage of negativity.  We just want to get along and, where possible, are willing to do what is necessary to see the buyer made whole.
I did attend Ford Carlisle with the largest used parts display at the show and extra help was needed to display our inventory with 10 spaces full of parts. With a background in recovery approaching 20 years sobriety myself, I do often employ people, some of which I meet in my local jail ministry, a service commitment I’ve held for over 19 years. I also help local people with similar issues and that is where we interacted with Austin, a young man that needed help re-establishing himself in society.
           Considering everything I've shared above, we have a policy that temporary help does not collect money or complete sales.  Our full time staff must verify the product for fit, function, and correct application to eliminate mistakes.  While we were blessed to be overwhelmed with customers in our spaces,  Austin was standing by the wheels, and was asked by a customer about a rim which was referred to as a "10 hole" (a 4 lug 80's model wheel). Because of his lack of experience, I knew he wouldn't have known what to call ANY of the rims, so I believed that he was just repeating a customer's statement and $95 was the correct price for a best quality single "10 hole" wheel.  With the question answered, I continued to assist other customers.
          As fate would have it, I was called over to the other side of the booth in time to see a Shelby 10 spoke wheel leaving our spaces.  I redirected what I was doing to investigate the situation, following the man with the rim wondering what was going on.  Austin and one of my full time employees Ryan were  following along because they could tell I was very concerned with the situation - at that moment, I honestly thought I was going to be confronting a shop lifter.
          We caught up with the gentleman less than 50 feet away at the next booth and I asked him why he had the Shelby wheel in his hands.  He gave his account of the situation and said he had paid the helper $95 for the rim.  The helper Austin had put the money in his pocket and, when he pulled it back out, I took it and handed it to the customer while explaining that the young man didn't have the authority to make sales.  I stated that it was obviously a mistake and it wasn't for sale individually since it was part of a $1500 set of 5.  The customer seemed to agree that the price had been to good to be true for an Original Shelby wheel. The customer took the money back with no other arguments made by the buyer.  I assumed the matter was over until I was contacted by several friends who are active on these forums who were concerned that the situation was misrepresented.
           I apologize if I was abrasive or in any way embarrassed our wheel buyer. Perhaps I over-reacted to the situation; I was startled and flustered and did not handle it as well as I could have.  To all of you here in the forums who feel I was at fault, I apologize - we service thousands of customers each year and sometimes things go wrong  as this situation did. Had I been able to help this buyer personally we would have averted this situation but since it happened I can only tell you the how and why of it as I see it.
          However, I will not apologize to anyone who feels I use my faith in Jesus Christ to hide behind or as a marketing tool. I generally don’t mention it unless the situation arises for fellowship or prayer.  I am neither ashamed to be a follower of Christ nor will I ever deny honoring Him for His saving grace saving and giving me a new life.  Like everyone else, I'm still human and certainly imperfect, but I can't stay quiet about the joy of my salvation.  Unfortunately, that upsets some folks.  Anyone who knows me personally will tell you it's not a show for me, especially if they knew my past.  I strive to practice Christ's principles in all my affairs and it greatly concerns me when it appears people think that's not the case.
          We are a BUSINESS and depend on our sales to support our employees and their families, many of whom are just getting back on their feet.  While we may not be the cheapest source of vintage Mustang parts, we do strive to offer some of the most desirable, hard to find and high quality reconditioned used parts available anywhere in the world.  If you visit our website, you will see numerous replies, comments and feedback from our many contented customers stating their satisfaction in Mustang Masters' assistance in completing their classic restoration projects.
          As owner of Mustang Masters I strive for customer satisfaction and I feel this way in this every situation. I am greatly concerned at all the negative comments and know it's impossible to please everyone all the time as is evident by the many comments some of which are greatly exaggerated . Barnetto if there is any way of making this right with you without having to break up the set of Shelby rims, please contact me via email at freddy@mustangmasters.com or call me directly at 904-724-3927.  I am open to suggestions and willing to resolve this situation, if possible.

Respectfully,
Freddy

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 07:14:32 AM »
Freddy, maybe sincerity would mean you don't cut and paste your reply at multiple websites.
Making it right means doing the right thing no matter what the consequences. You and you alone are responsible for your actions and the actions of those you hire.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America