Author Topic: Carpet & Interior Quarter trim panels  (Read 6256 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Carpet & Interior Quarter trim panels
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »
Ran across my repro carpet from 1982 (wish I had kept the original...) and can see that even way back then the small pieces that get glued on the rear panels for a fastback have incorrect bound edges.

Yep and since these have been around for so long (often being mistaken for original) many have gotten use to that design and style. Good thing is that with the forums and access to the judging community most of rules reflect the detail and more owners are learning of it
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »
"I've only seen the bound edge outside, not tucked in at all.  Others may have a different experience."    -->Thanks for the feedback, I would expect a lot of original cars to look like what you're describing.

Here's a pic of another car owned by someone I know which shows that some of the bound edge is hidden by the interior quarter panel. I would expect that some cars left the assembly line like this, just based on tolerance, human involvement and speed of assembly. Comments?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »
Here's a pic of another car owned by someone I know which shows that some of the bound edge is hidden by the interior quarter panel. I would expect that some cars left the assembly line like this, just based on tolerance, human involvement and speed of assembly. Comments?

IMHO that just looks like the carpet was not pulled as far forward as other examples - looks ti me to be in the same order and the other original examples and not what was normal and expected. Would not copy it onto another car
Jeff Speegle

Offline Angela

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Jeff. It sounds like folks are suggesting that the bound edge was always visible at the rear interior quarter panels. In my car, however, all effort to make the bound edges visible fail. I bought ACC carpet, which I was told was the most correct option yet as you can see from the photo I posted (black carpet..not the red photo) the carpet wants to lay underneath the quarter panel trim. If I pull if forward, the sewn edge doesn't follow the curve of the quarter trim.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

According to my NPD invoice, I ordered the right carpet... yet I suppose they could have sent me the wrong one.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »
I went back & forth, looking at the unrestored, back on page 1 of this thread...Maybe those are reproduction interior trims? They look a bit different, or am I seeing it wrong?
To me, it looks like no way you'll get that carpet to lay right as the unrestored picture or even the other red one shown. Maybe your best option is to have the carpet trimed in and rebound ay an upholstery shop or carpeting store.
We'll see what the others have to say...

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 10:27:13 PM »
What am I missing or doing wrong?

Nothing - looks to me that we have another reproduction part that does not fit or was not made like the original- Surprise :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline Angela

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
For what it's worth, I went to a shelby & mustang show today and looked at two '68's (no 67s present). The carpet in both fastbacks looked exactly like the carpet that I am trying to install... i.e. one couldn't see the bound edge at the quarter panel trim. I guess I feel better about this now, yet I still have to find a solution. I think it's true that I may have to cut the carpet and see if I can find someone to re-bind it (not even sure if that's possible).

Offline Angela

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 05:10:48 PM »
Before I cut my carpet and pay someone to re-bind the edges so that it fits correctly, I wish to ask if I'd be better off purchasing the mass-backed version from ACC. Can anyone with experience with ACC mass-backed carpet comment? Will it fit better and/or respond to steam-fitting better? I expect the mass-back version to weigh more than the standard-backed carpet I already bought, but I don't know how much more it weighs.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 05:50:13 PM »
Before I cut my carpet and pay someone to re-bind the edges so that it fits correctly, I wish to ask if I'd be better off purchasing the mass-backed version from ACC. Can anyone with experience with ACC mass-backed carpet comment? Will it fit better and/or respond to steam-fitting better? I expect the mass-back version to weigh more than the standard-backed carpet I already bought, but I don't know how much more it weighs.

Have only used/installed the mass back style since it became available to compensate IMHO for the looser weave of carpet the company switched to years ago :( 

The stuff will need a bit more work since it has a thicker, less flexible base, sometimes that don't get it "flat" and there can be a build up of rubber backing that needs to be trimmed with a knife or razor - back to what should have been the original thickness of the mass back then heated a little.

As far as weight it easily weights three times more than the carpet by itself but I think that is a benefit not a negative
Jeff Speegle