Author Topic: 67 S Code Block Casting Number and Date Code  (Read 2446 times)

Offline JIMeast

67 S Code Block Casting Number and Date Code
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »
My car is a 67 GTA S-code convertible from San Jose.  It was built June 26, 1967 (late car).  I was under the engine bay yesterday and noticed my block casting is C8ME-A, and thought the engine might have been replaced, so I checked the casting date and it is 7F5, indicating my block was cast June 5, 1967.  From the foundry to my car as a finished engine in only 21 days.  Based what I have been told about my car, the block should be original to the car, but seeing the C8ME-A casting ID threw me for a loop.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:04:21 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine Block Casting Number and Date Code
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »
Did you check for the engine assembly date?  A much better indicator of when the engine could have been used ;)

But yes Ford often used castings (and other parts) with engineering numbers that may seem to have been for a later period (plenty of examples)  when the revision was approved and available - especially if the change did not require additional, supporting pieces to be changed also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JIMeast

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »
I might be wrong, but I thought the engine assembly date is on a tag attached to the coil bracket.  If so, mine is gone.  Please enlighten me if required.

Did you check for the engine assembly date?  A much better indicator of when the engine could have been used ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
No, not the tag on the coil, but a stamped number (not a cast#) that indicates when all of the cast items were assembled. I know where it is on the small block but not completely sure for the FE engine. (I'm thinking it's on an ear at the right, back of the block, just below the head gasket or somewhere on the left water pump flat machined surface of the block. I can't be sure) Somebody else will clarify soon I am sure.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:50:46 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »
I might be wrong, but I thought the engine assembly date is on a tag attached to the coil bracket.  If so, mine is gone.  Please enlighten me if required.

Look here ;) 

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JIMeast

Re: 67 S Code Block Casting Number and Date Code
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 08:16:56 AM »
From the photo shown, it looks like this stamp would be on the passenger side, unfortunately even after cleaning up the pad shown, I can't see if a stamping is present.  Might have to wait until the engine comes out.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:18:38 AM by JIMeast »

Offline Brian Conway

Re: 67 S Code Block Casting Number and Date Code
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »
     The assembly stamp on my 8 H 17 FE block is on the left rear ' lug '  and I was able to read  8 H 27 after great effort driven by curiosity.  The assemblers initial has eluded me thus far.  The cars ' actual production ' date is 9/19/68.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.