Author Topic: Earliest known special paint car?  (Read 1511 times)

Offline daniel94

Earliest known special paint car?
« on: May 03, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
I'm just curious what the earliest known special paint car is that anyone has seen..

I currently own a late '65 special paint (6-digit DSO/blank paint code) which appears to be WT9301 pink, but I've recently seen a '64 1/2 car for sale with a 6-digit DSO, blank paint code with a date code of 27E.  Looking through the limited data available in the registry on the In Search Of Mustangs site, I don't really see any earlier ones.

I know it could never be verified to be the earliest one with the lack of complete records on the '64 1/2 - '66 models, but has anyone seen one earlier than a 27E date?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Earliest known special paint car?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:04:01 PM »
Earliest Mustang I've got has a projected build date of 05F. Given production practices it may have been actually built before your 27E rejected date example but we'll never know ;) That (as I guess your example is) was/is a Dearborn car.

Easiest San Jose Special order car had a projected build date of 10H (Aug 10) Only the 8th special order from its ordering district. Of course these included all Ford cars and all sorts of special orders
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline daniel94

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.

Yeah, as you guessed, this is a Dearborn car. I'd love to buy it as I seem to be drawn to these special paint cars, but I already have so many projects that it probably won't happen.

I agree though that we'll never know what order they really were built in, but it's neat to get some confirmation that this definitely is an early one.  :)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 06:16:28 PM »
34-1390
Anyone know what color this would be on a 65?
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Online Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 06:22:01 PM »
There were two prefixes for non production colors.

I believe a 1965 would be a number with an "MX" code

The "WT" codes start in 1968.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 06:45:02 PM »
34-1390
Anyone know what color this would be on a 65?
Where did you find this number?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 12:35:35 AM »
Its on a car that I am looking at to buy.
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Online Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 07:59:53 AM »
You are going to need to be more specific.

Is it the DSO number?  Special paint cars rarely have color codes, unless you are lucky enough to find one on a build tag.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 12:59:43 PM »
You are going to need to be more specific.

Is it the DSO number?  Special paint cars rarely have color codes, unless you are lucky enough to find one on a build tag.
Exactly. That's the good news, and bad news. If in fact the number is the DSO, the only references are the original 55 plus year old original order record at the ordering dealer, the record at the district office, and/or the assembly line order, all of which are assumed to have been destroyed. There are two possibility: remove the door scuff plate and see if there is enough original color remaining to make a guess; the same can be said of the door data plate. I have a couple of 68 door data plates that have some of the original paint stuck to the back. The color was "salmon", the code was 721191.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 05:56:51 PM »
Ah ok. I get it. The paint code on this door tag was left blank too as mentioned by you guys. This number was in the DSO spot. So it signifies a special paint car but not the color? Do the numbers tell us anything though?
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 06:39:22 PM »
Ah ok. I get it. The paint code on this door tag was left blank too as mentioned by you guys. This number was in the DSO spot. So it signifies a special paint car but not the color?

Yes if the paint code area is blank. If not then it identifies that the car was special ordered for some other reason

Do the numbers tell us anything though?

Yes they tell us the order number (can identify a single car or group of identical cars, often for large promotions in a region or dealership) that can be found on the upper left hand corner of the order form and used for other identification purposes. Ford documents state that they are included on another form than that included with the delivery of the car with the other ownership paperwork
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 11:40:38 PM »
Oh Ok. Thats great info. I'll store that in the memory banks!
Thanks guys.
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build