Author Topic: Correct Carb?  (Read 7947 times)

Offline lprice1024

Correct Carb?
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:22:07 PM »
Just inherited a 1967 GTA Convertible with the 390 CI engine. Is the correct carburetor a Holley 4 Barrel #C70F9510D?
Is it possible to get a rebuilt one or is it possible to rebuild this one?
Should the last letter in the Model # be a D or either A,B, or C?

Additional Info -  DSO - 15, TRANS - U, DATE - 27F, AXLE - 1, TRIM - 2A
Thanks,
LP

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Correct Carb?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »
C70F-9510-D comes back as 390 Auto Trans, Mustang, Cougar, Comet, Fairlane w/ California Emissions
http://www.mustangtek.com/4150/C7OF-9510-D.html
Looks like non-California Emissions should be a suffix of "B"

"A" & "C" are for 4-speed applications
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:56:37 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 11:09:17 PM »
Just inherited a 1967 GTA Convertible with the 390 CI engine. Is the correct carburetor a Holley 4 Barrel #C70F9510D?

Thanks,
LP

Welcome!  :)

That's a nice inheritance.  Someone must think a lot of you.

Would love to see some pictures of it.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline lprice1024

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »
I'll work on getting pictures of it.

What makes it "California Emissions"?

Thanks for your patience, I'm a newbie at this stuff.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 03:17:25 PM »
It's the selection of internal items, jets, atomizers, booster venturies, plus external settings. The emphasis was on low NoX, and hydrocarbons. Mileage was secondary. If you buy an original 4100 from an auto parts store, you will get a "generic" one size fits all using what ever internals are available. When Pony Carbs was in business, you got pretty much everything correct.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »
C70F-9510-D comes back as 390 Auto Trans, Mustang, Cougar, Comet, Fairlane w/ California Emissions

+1 from my other reference manuals

I'll work on getting pictures of it.

Should look pretty similar to this one without the dashpot.

Your car likely haas a DSO or 71 or 72 indicating that it was ordered (and likely delivered) from a dealer in California which required the thermactor system to be installed that year on cars sold in that state

Your system is likely missing since many owners removed them over the years.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:16:38 PM »

Thanks,
LP

If your car is indeed a DSO 15, Jeffs comment on DSO 71 or 72 isn't right. More likely the carb was switched out or exchanged along the way with the wrong one. Rebuilders did that a lot.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »
67gtasanjose is correct - a 390 Automatic for DSO 15 would have most likely used the C70F-9510-B carb...

Here are a few shots of one for reference:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:58:55 PM by Paperback Writer »
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline lprice1024

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »
So, visually there's really no difference between the B & the D model? It's the internal "stuff" that's different?
I'm pretty positive that the car is a DSO 15.
Anyone know where to get a B Model? Or where to swap my D Model for a B model?
Thanks,
Larry

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »
Though not as likely as just the carb being swapped out somewhere in time, but the engine itself actually could have been swapped out complete with carb too. DSO 15 would not have been a Calif Equipped emissions, true. If you are truly concerned about matching up the numbers, maybe you can also confirm the numbers on the block and heads, as well as intake manfolds before hunting down another carb. No point swapping just the carb if the engine itself is also a Cally model...just saying.  ???
Richard Urch

Offline lprice1024

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 10:12:50 PM »
Thanks for all the great info. I'm pretty confident it's the correct engine and  that all numbers match.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:56:46 PM »

Your going to be placing ads on a bunch of the forum sites and hope for the best. While your at it ask for a specific time period for the date but mention in the wanted ad that "other will be considered"

Good luck  Believe I've only got Thermactor manual carbs
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 11:09:45 PM »

I've emailed a friend who worked for Pony Carbs and has done restoration work on these.
I'll see if he can help locate one fro you too
Richard Urch

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »
So, visually there's really no difference between the B & the D model? It's the internal "stuff" that's different?
I'm pretty positive that the car is a DSO 15.
Thanks,
Larry
Before you go through the hunt of finding a B do a little homework. Not saying the carb is original but it seems unlikely it would have got swapped for same year/engine carb from different DSO. Confirm your DSO, do you have actual build date of car (Marti report)? What is the date on the carb? It is a 3 number or number/letter code under the carb part # on the airhorn. Look for other Thermactor clues such as missing/unused/wrong bracketry on passenger front of engine. Also see if heads have smog tube ports plugged right near your exhaust ports
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »
Before you go through the hunt of finding a B do a little homework. Not saying the carb is original but it seems unlikely it would have got swapped for same year/engine carb from different DSO. Confirm your DSO, do you have actual build date of car (Marti report)? What is the date on the carb? It is a 3 number or number/letter code under the carb part # on the airhorn. Look for other Thermactor clues such as missing/unused/wrong bracketry on passenger front of engine. Also see if heads have smog tube ports plugged right near your exhaust ports
+1 on these thoughts & questions. Something seems "fishey" from the start of this thread, but cannot seem to figure it out with the info presented.
That is why I was asking to check the actual engine (build) numbers too. Trying to establish fact from fiction. My thoughts are to at least get this carb he has refurbished to enjoy the ride untill all of the rest is sorted out and correct parts & pieces are assembled for the "concours correctness".
Richard Urch