Author Topic: 65 Washer Kit Install  (Read 4727 times)

Offline Chris

Re: 65 Washer Kit Install
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 07:42:15 PM »
Charles, yes, I checked the instruction sheet very carefully; shows hole location but no mention of size. Unfortunately the instructions in the kit consist only of the diagram for install and not written instructions like with some kits. The Osborn electrical assembly manual lacks and written details too. I also checked the other assembly manuals, all references/previous posts on this site and searched the web for other install queries...no luck on the size of the hole for the grommet at the firewall.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 07:44:48 PM by Chris »
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 10:27:57 PM »
I'll be making a trip to the salvage yard in the next week
so I can check the hole size for you and report back.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline Chris

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »
So with trial and error, looks like the hole size for the grommet at the firewall should be 7/16. I drilled 3/8 first and then tried feeding the wire through the hole. The feed wire from the switch to the pump goes through the firewall from the inside first as the largest part of the grommet is on the inside.

What I found was the flat connector that connects at the pump and has to feed through the firewall from the inside is 3/8 inch and will not slip past a 3/8 inch hole (it is hard rubber and does not flex). If you drill a 1/2 inch hole, the flat connector to the pump goes through, the grommet fits too but is a little loose (have to use some strip caulk on inside flat part of the grommet to secure). So using a 7/16th hole would be the right size, large enough to allow the flat connector to the pump to feed through the hole but small enough for the rubber grommet to be able to "grab".

Chris
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64