Author Topic: Engine Code Number for ID Tag  (Read 3660 times)

Offline DM_1964

Engine Code Number for ID Tag
« on: March 28, 2014, 12:07:05 AM »
I need to get an Engine ID tag made up, It's for a 64 1/2 289 power steering, no A/C.

Here's what I'm thinking it should look like:

Engine C.I.D: 289
Model Year: 65
Change Level: 1 (I assume)
Year of Engine Production - Month of Engine Production: Either 3-K, 3-L, 4-A, 4-B or 4-C (comments would be appreciated)
Engine Code No: ??? (Input Required)

I've attached a couple of examples, from the 65's I've noticed some variations...
1. first attachment has an N in between Production Date and Enginge Code No
2. What would the month M relate to? I assume the months started at A (January) and ended with L (December) - my fingers came in handy to help decipher those months, didn't want to get it wrong...
3. No Engine Plant Code (see last attachement).
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Engine Code Number for ID Tag
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »
Dom-
    Bob Mannel's book will give you a good breakdown of the tag codes, I don't have my copy with me but I can look some info up for you later if you need. I believe "M" was December as they skipped "I". Attached is a photo my my late June '64 engine tag, not pretty but original! Change Level "1" pertained to all 5 bolt 289's if I remember correctly.

Greg

64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »
Hi Greg, thanks for that, I knew I'd seen that pic somewhere before...
I do have Bob Mannel's book in front of me and you are correct that change level 1 is associated with the 5-bolt 289's.
From your tag I now know that 551 relates to a 289, and the book has a reference to 554 being 289 HiPo.
Did you figure out what N stands for?

Regards,
Dom

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »
Dom-
   Going from memory, there's an appendix in the back of Mannell's book that gives more info (I think). The alpha letters that follow the engine code (551) relate to manual / automatic transmissions, which is which you'll have to research.

Greg

priceless

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
I'm thinking the "N" means engine plant code prefix. Attached is a photo from the Marti tag book.

priceless

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 01:14:21 PM »
Here's another photo for your reference. Finger there trying to keep the book from folding. Not pointing at anything in particular.

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
The alpha letters that follow the engine code (551) relate to manual / automatic transmissions, which is which you'll have to research.
Yes, the appendix has further info stating that a:
Mustang 289 4V Manual trans is 550-B, and a
Mustang 289 4V Auto is 551-B (page A-6)
Yet yours has 551-C, so I'm not sure there...

I'm thinking the "N" means engine plant code prefix. Attached is a photo from the Marti tag book.
Thanks for those references
N - refers to the Draft Tube which is correct for Greg's 289
I'm unsure whether mine had a draft tube from factory as when I purchased it a 2 barrel intake was installed, I've sourced a manifold that doesn't have the hole but perhaps this isn't correct a correct application...
Regards,
Dom

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 02:19:08 PM »
Does anyone else have knowledge regarding these tags or maybe someone has a 64 1/2 289 D code?

Not sure if it matters but the DSO is 71 (LA), would be nice to hear of other examples...

From the research I've done the tags looking something like:

Regards,
Dom

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 08:37:14 AM »
"I've sourced a manifold that doesn't have the hole but perhaps this isn't correct a correct application..."

Dom-
   I understood that if a road draft tube wasn't used, as in a closed system, in the early cars that a plate was used to cover the opening. I wasn't aware that 2 manifolds were used at the same time, one with and one without the opening. I'm not 100% sure, hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in.
Greg

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 12:14:46 AM »
I understood that if a road draft tube wasn't used, as in a closed system, in the early cars that a plate was used to cover the opening. I wasn't aware that 2 manifolds were used at the same time, one with and one without the opening.
Here are a couple of pics of the manifold I sourced, it doesn't have the plate to cover the hole, however I have seen the type you are talking about, I assumed that a plate could be used if the draft tube was removed.
Regards,
Dom

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 11:06:47 PM »
Found exactly what I was after in the appendix section, just need to change the engine code to suit transmission.
Regards,
Dom