Author Topic: Two different Seat Tracks designs??  (Read 973 times)

Offline DKutz

Two different Seat Tracks designs??
« on: March 24, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »
So as I took my seat apart, and started cleaning up the seat tracks, it occurred to me that the drivers side and passenger side have different seat tracks.  One side has Tabs to retain the tracks, one does not.  And the half that is just the track (the NON handle side) has a slightly different design....  ANy thoughts on this?  I don't believe there are part numbers or date codes, so hard to tell where these can from.

My car is built Oct 1964

1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
Re: Two different Seat Tracks designs??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 04:45:33 PM »
  I thought I would tag onto this as well, (not trying to hyjack), since I just re-upholstered my seats over the past fews days and found similar findings. I have a June 64 built Dearborn coupe and replaced the tracks on the drivers side with a "better" conditioned set, (not severly rusted), from a 65'. When trying to install the 65' onto the 64' seat I found that the holes in the tracks were "closer together" than the seat. I had to "open" up the track holes by 1/8" to even get the track to mount to the original 64 seat frame??  I too noticed a mismatched but once mounted, they are pretty much identical. Perhaps you car has had a replacement at some point?? I also noticed that the 65' set seemed to be phosphate coated?? while the 64' seat track looked like a quick coat of black paint was applied. I believe this to be original. Perhaps someone with another early 64 1/2 has noted this??
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »
I don't know the implementation date, but I think the style without the "staked" end is an early type, 1964 and 1965, and the "staked" end is for later 65 and 66, and maybe into 67.
The first picture shows both the RH and LH type with the plates attached. I got no idea where they came from or what years. Info only.
The 2nd and 3rd (-02-01 & -02-02) show the staked ends but with two different "stakes", I assume from different suppliers.
The 4th and 5th (-03-01 & -03-02) show the plain ends.
Note: Replacement seat to body mounting studs are available from AMK, B-11662, but they are shorter than the originals, 1 7/16 vs 1 3/4 in.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:46:50 PM »
It is common to see the tracks without the stacked on plates on early production 67's and the later ones with the plates staked on in later production 67's. I think that was the transition round about time for the plate detail aspect. I am not sure if the transition was the same for all plants however San Jose cars indicated that pattern which are the ones I am most familiar with for that year .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
When trying to install the 65' onto the 64' seat I found that the holes in the tracks
were "closer together" than the seat. I had to "open" up the track holes by 1/8"
to even get the track to mount to the original 64 seat frame?? 
Perhaps someone with another early 64 1/2 has noted this??

I have two sets of early 64 1/2 seats with the fixed passenger seat
and have noticed on the drivers seat tracks just what you have found.
What are you doing with your old tracks you took off?
I would be interested in them, leave me a pm.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior