Author Topic: Fog Lamp Breaker Plastic divider  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Angela

Fog Lamp Breaker Plastic divider
« on: March 15, 2014, 12:41:10 PM »
I can think of an electrically good way to connect the wires to this fog lamp circuit breaker. However, I'm not sure how Ford originally placed the plastic divider. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I see NO evidence of the toothed washers on the plastic divider, which makes me think ford stacked this up top -to-bottom as:

Nut & toothed washer
wire connector
plastic divider
circuit breaker

The above scenario would explain why there are no marks in the plastic from the toothed washers, but would not be the best electrical connection.

I'm looking to understand how others have seen this breaker connected.

Offline Angela

Re: Fog Lamp Breaker Plastic divider
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:15:33 PM »
I'm bumping this post not because I wish to annoy anyone or that I hold out any hope of a response to my original question, but rather I have a similar question and it seemed best to post it here rather than start a new thread.

Question: Why is one of the two breaker posts (photo below) longer than the other? I am sure there's a reason that one post is longer but, through no lack of trying, I cannot find an answer. Is the lead from the main wiring harness supposed to connect to the longer post, while the fog lamp harness feed connects to the shorter post?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »
Angela:
I don't think it really matters.  The CB works pretty much like the flasher can in that you can attach it in any manner you see fit.  The 65/66's work that way, although they seem to be marked BAT and OUT (I think). 

I've seen about 3 67 CB's pass my workbench and I don't remember that any had the plastic protector.  A way to determine if it is needed is to determine if there is any continuity between any post and the chassis.  If there is, you want to isolate the posts.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »
Hmmmmmm. Doesn't it seem like Ford would only have one post of this circuit breaker longer, if it was important that the part be created that way? I see that the reproduction circuit breakers also have one post longer than the other. Has anyone bought a repro circuit breaker that came with some instructions that may indicate which post connects to what wire?  I must really be awful at searching the web, since I've tried repeatedly yet cannot find any documentation on this subject.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 01:48:17 PM »
Ford used a lot of different circuit breakers. Here is a picture showing a handful of them. Different ratings, with or without brackets, different manufacturers (Tung Sol, FASCO, etc.) If you look in the circuit breaker section of the MPC, you will find multiple applications for many of them. Some of the circuit breakers with one longer stud may have been intended for use with the 90° boot connectors.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A