Author Topic: 64 1/2 coupe approximate build date  (Read 2271 times)

Offline markchew88

64 1/2 coupe approximate build date
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:59:33 PM »
Hey guys. I'm new to this forumn and chose to join because it seems you all have a lot of answers I can't find anywhere else. I'm restoring a 64 1/2 D-code 4 speed coupe. The drivers door was changed at some point so I have no door tag with the dso or build date. I'm not so concerned about the dso as I am the build date. Can someone give me an approximate build date by my vin 5f07d159799? I believe the car was built late July to early August. Thanks.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 64 1/2 coupe approximate build date
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 06:47:45 PM »
Check with Marti Auto Works. They were able to make up a new tag for my 67 that was beaten up with time & overspraye
http://www.martiauto.com/itemselection.cfm?item=TAGD-64&linkid=msdd&vin=5T07T17525&year=1965&model=mustang&body&color&trim&date&dso&axle&transd.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Looking at the "Mustang Production Guide, Vol 1", your VIN falls in early June for scheduled builds. There is some controversy as to the scheduled dates as Ford juggled a car's position in the line so the actual vs. scheduled "could" be off as much as two week (so they claim). Back to your VIN question, it falls around the 8th or 9th, with a June 5 and a couple of 6's VINs falling in the middle. The 7th is a Sunday so don't use that. To get a better feel, look at the date codes stamped on the fender aprons as fenders and hoods are easily replaced, re your door being replaced. The format of the date code would be similar to this: 05 28 2 which would mean May (05), 28 (day), 2 shift, no year is included. The code would be stamped into the horizontal surface on the fender apron between the cutout on the LH side and hinge. It's sometimes covered by the fender.
Good luck,
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 08:29:43 PM »
We can only guess (based on other cars assigned VIN's at the same time as yours) at the projected build date - the one that would have been on your door tag.

5F07D159799 = 08F or 09F would be my guess
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline markchew88

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 10:31:39 PM »
Thank you Jim. I will check the apron. It should be on the rearward apron not the front right? I replaced both front aprons and rad support. I'll check on that tomorrow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 11:03:11 PM »
Thank you Jim. I will check the apron. It should be on the rearward apron not the front right? I replaced both front aprons and rad support. I'll check on that tomorrow.

Top of the inner fender both sides behind the shock towers and on the drivers side in front of the shock tower originally - your year and plant
Jeff Speegle

Offline markchew88

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »
Ok guys I just checked th left apron and found the vin stamped where the fender would cover it however no date stamp.  I did see "633D" if that helps. Thats the only stamps I saw.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 08:56:33 PM »
Ok guys I just checked th left apron and found the vin stamped where the fender would cover it however no date stamp.  I did see "633D" if that helps. Thats the only stamps I saw.

The "date" we're referring to is the date the plant guessed the car would be finished on. What you likely found was a steel metal date - the date the panel was stamped - you'll find this on just about every sheet metal part of your car. In this cars June 3 Dearborn stamping plant 3rd shift. You will find references on this site of other threads discussing date stampings
Jeff Speegle

Offline markchew88

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
Ok I'll keep looking then. June 8 or 9 is starting to look probable.