Author Topic: Vinyl Top Trim Question  (Read 11555 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Vinyl Top Trim Question
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2023, 09:19:14 PM »
Does the 68 Assembly Manual cover the installation of this strip?

I followed the 67 Assembly Manual [on a 67 of course] does and the rivet holes were all used
The rivets on this style strip came from below, excepting the very rear-most.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:08:57 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2023, 02:00:17 PM »
I dont see any mention of this in the 68 assembly manual.  I looked in the 67 assembly manual and dont see it there either unless its hidden in one of the manuals you would not expect? 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:09:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2023, 06:10:00 PM »
I dont see any mention of this in the 68 assembly manual.  I looked in the 67 assembly manual and dont see it there either unless its hidden in one of the manuals you would not expect?

Only reference with pictures I can recall is the one I posted in Reply #10
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2023, 06:23:34 PM »

See Reply #37
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2023, 09:11:40 PM »

It is found on page 55 of the 68 Interior assembly manual.

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2023, 02:03:37 AM »
Ok.....I have both the 67 and 68 assembly manuals and found the details in the Interior sections.  Didn't think it would be listed in there but glad to have it.  I will get materials for install.  Not sure what product is best to brush/wipe over the retainers that is smoothed in after the retainers are installed....in case anyone has a recommendation? 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2023, 12:45:37 AM »
Since a related question came up in another thread I thought I could add some extra to the reference I made back in Reply #2 of this thread and include the TBS

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2023, 06:13:12 AM »
... Not sure what product is best to brush/wipe over the retainers that is smoothed in after the retainers are installed....in case anyone has a recommendation?

I missed seeing your request for a product recommendation.
I tried several products (caulking) that shrunk too much when laying it in as thick as what is required to conceal the expanded rivets. My solution was to re-coat a few times, each recoat was after the previous coating had cured (and shrunk). Eventually, it leveled over the rivets (I estimate that it was 3 or 4 coats). I hope you found a better product (since has been months since your request).

On Edit: I added an image of how thick the original sealant was. It is easily about 1/4" to 3/6" thick but not higher than the drip rail is deep. Notice that the sealant tapers down away from the drip rail edge.
Another note, I believe the sealant would be best added while the drip rail molding is still off the drip rail.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 06:26:57 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch