Author Topic: seam on transverse muffler - up or down?  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Murf

seam on transverse muffler - up or down?
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »
Transverse mufflers have a seam running lengthways across the body.  When Ford designed those mufflers and provided the alignment notches for the exhaust and tail pipes did the seam end up on the top or the bottom of the muffler?  The four inlet/outlet stubs are the same size, at least on the 302 dual exhaust system and is unmarked on the generic parts I have.  As always images of originals are encouraged.   Thanks!
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline DTruitt

Re: seam on transverse muffler - up or down?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:37:27 PM »
Seam is on the bottom. Check Scott Fuller's website!  Here is a link to a few pics.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/page/page/4755655.htm

Danny
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:39:18 PM by DTruitt »
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:44:48 PM »
Thanks, Danny!  I checked Scott's website but  only the part that showed the 302 system and the images were not clear enough to determine where the seam was located.  Appreciate the link.  I wonder if there is any functional difference in which way the muffler is turned?  Not a subject for a concours type information forum but just curious if the design of the mufflers both OEM or aftermarket allows for better or more quiet operation when the exhaust flows in a certain path?  Seems every answer brings forth another question.  By the way, I had installed our muffler with the seam on the bottom but only luck played a part in that choice.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:10:32 AM »
Not the best picture but this is a Scott Fuller exhaust on out 68 HCS.
Hope this helps John.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
I thought Scott had found some both ways?

I assume you are using a repop (non Fuller) muffler? On a real one or Scotts the alignment/stop tabs only allow it to be installed one way
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Murf

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »
Yes, the muffler I am using is a generic issue.  Came with a motive kit and can be installed either way.  Wanted to be as correct as possible with what I have.  After looking at Scott's images I notice that the clamps for both the inlet and the outlet pipes are all over the place in how they are clocked.  The images seem to be of original factory installation so even as Ford probably had a stipulated clocking it must have fallen into the hands of the guy actually tightening the nuts that determined how things actually left the factory.  This bring the question of "what is the designated clocking" of the four clamps as designated by Ford during the time the transverse mufflers are used?
John Murphy

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:23:55 PM »
There are many patterns, toward front, back but one thing is always consistent. They were but in a way so they could be tightened with air tool so typically nuts at like 5 or 7 oclock
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 10:37:33 PM »
I thought Scott had found some both ways?

Tim, I believe you are correct!

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline forestg

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 12:16:23 PM »
There should be a small drain hole on one edge of the muffler. That is the side that goes down, otherwise your muffler will rot out.