Author Topic: Tail Panel  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Tail Panel
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:16:23 PM »
Hey guys I did a thorough visual inpsection of the 68 J-Code this weekend.  The rear bumper, and valance had been smucked.  I pulled the bumper, valance, and quarter panel extensions to look for any further damage to the tail panel.  I'm suspect that the tail panel has been pushed in but not sure.  Did the 68 coupe's tail panel have a gentle sweep inward(from left to right) with the middle being in towards the trunk.  I don't see any damage on the trunk but it also has this gentle sweeping curve inward. I don't see any signs of metel fatigue or crinkling of the paint.

Thanks,
David,
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Tail Panel
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »
....................Did the 68 coupe's tail panel have a gentle sweep inward(from left to right) with the middle being in towards the trunk. ..........

Not from the factory intentionally - taillight panels were pretty straight. Most Mustangs today - well at least ones you see driven on the street have the all too common sway in the taillight panel and rear bumper :(

Light parking lot taps will not leave much as far as evidence in the trunk
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:42:33 PM »
Here are some photos I took to better illustrate my concern.

Kind of a bummer the car is so straight other than this.  Any recommendations on the repair, try to force it back or replace it with a straight panel.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:44:16 PM by Stangly »
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 04:48:49 PM »
I have the same problem on my 66 hardtop, bent inward taillight panel. I'm waiting until the car goes to get painted. However, if you can't wait, a friend had one with a lot more noticeable bend, straightened the bend out with a foot long piece of metal bar and a hook from the bar that came out thru the filler pipe hole (remove the filler first), a chain and a convenient telephone pole to roll the car away from "gently". The third "roll" straightened out the bend and the trunk lid fit a lot better too.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 11:37:04 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I guess I shouldn't expect a forty year old car to be perfect.  It looks a little sheet metal massaging will be needed.
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue