Author Topic: Opinions on newly purchased '65 GT - engine bay  (Read 5669 times)

Offline vtstang

Opinions on newly purchased '65 GT - engine bay
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:13:29 PM »
I recently acquired a '65 GT convertible and, not knowing that much about 1965 Mustangs, was hoping I could get some feedback from the experts here on the site about the car. Such as items that are not correct or authentic and some of the best things in the short term I could to get the car ready to show. I'm not intending the car to be in a Concours type class, but at least to start out in an occasionally driven class. For now, I was hoping to get some advice on the engine bay and have included a few pictures.

1. I know the a/c compressor and lines are not correct, but am wondering what steps I'd need to take to get this right. Is there a recommended NOS or repro compressor out there, plus the lines?
2. The engine bay paint looks a little on the glossy side to me.
3. I believe the shock tower to firewall struts should be one color (engine bay black) and not two as I have.
4. I'm pretty sure the "OK" and "X" marking aren't right, but would appreciate your opinion.
5. The car was converted from a single to a dual master cylinder setup. I'm inclined to leave that alone. 
6. Hard to see, but the firewall paint has lifted and looks crazed. I'm taking care of that now.
7. Anything else you see that needs attention?

Thanks very much.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:16:15 PM by vtstang »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Opinions on newly purchased '65 GT - engine bay
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »
It’s a very presentable engine bay, but quite a few details incorrect.  Here’s what I see:
-Should not have white/red tag on battery
-The long tube braces, the bracket on the battery side is turned the wrong way.  It should be flipped over and the tube end placed underneath.  Both of the brackets that attach to the car should be the same black as the engine bay since they were attached when the engine bay painted.  Fasteners should be phosphate/oil.  There is a L/R side tube brace, one is marked with an ‘L’ on the end.
-Remove all the ‘X’ marks throughout the car, not a single one of them is correct.
-Remove the yellow paint marks from the fenders, let us know the assembly plant your car was built to let you know which ones should be there.  Guessing San Jose since the breather tube is there on air cleaner.
-Remove the caution-fan decal.
-Horn fasteners should be phosphate/oil
-Fender bolts should be phosphate/oil
-The apron to cowl braces should be black, fasteners phosphate/oil
-Remove the paint daub/marks on the shock caps
-Looks like the engine bay is too glossy.
-Dipstick handle should be black like engine
-Incorrect radiator cap, remove the ‘OK’ stamp
-Fan shroud brackets should be black
-Red tag on alternator?
-Alternator spacer incorrect finish for year, should be darkened color.
-Grille color is too light
-Petronix?
-Coil should be mounted on front of RH cylinder head, incorrect coil, not yellow top.
-Incorrect spark plug wires
-Finish on exhaust manifolds too light
-’66 style windshield washer bag, should be screw top
-Incorrect distributor, no vacuum advance

There should be ‘sealant’ applied to the firewall around where items pass through or attach.  This is to close up the opening to keep the water/air out.  This usually has the appearance of undercoating.

As you mentioned, A/C system is all wrong, lines, compressor, etc…  You would need a cast iron Tecumseh compressor with proper brackets and hoses.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 03:50:36 PM »
-The long tube braces, the bracket on the battery side is turned the wrong way.  It should be flipped over and the tube end placed underneath.  Both of the brackets that attach to the car should be the same black as the engine bay since they were attached when the engine bay painted.  Fasteners should be phosphate/oil.  There is a L/R side tube brace, one is marked with an ‘L’ on the end.
How can the phosphate/oil hardware for the brackets show up if the brackets were painted with the engine compartment?
The distributor has no vacuum advance, it looks like a HP type.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »
How can the phosphate/oil hardware for the brackets show up if the brackets were painted with the engine compartment?

The bolts holding the brackets to the inner fender were painted along with the brackets when the engine bay was blacked out.  The bolts holding the brace to the bracket are phosphate.

- There are no locks on the exhaust manifold bolts.
- The alternator spacer should most likely be blackened steel (although the gold spacer could be correct for a late 65)
- The shock bodies look silver and they should be black.
- Try to find an original radiator.  The reproductions don't look anything like an original.
- Daub of strip caulk on the windshield washer nozzles @ cowl.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:32:03 PM »
The distributor has no vacuum advance, it looks like a HP type.
Jim

P&O for the tube braces, not the brackets.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline vtstang

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »
Thanks very much for the comments guys. Very thorough. The car is indeed a San Jose build. Any recommendations for a less glossy engine bay paint and paint for the grill that you mentioned was to light?

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »
 Looks like the sway bar is a cast color, (you can barely make it out from the first pic), I believe they were semi-flat black with a cast bushing insulator hold down. It also looks like you are missing a few plastic harness retainers, one on the passengers side shock tower and two on the radiator support, one on each side of the hood latch area that retains the harness as it runs from one side to the other (on the back side of the radiator support, tricky but can be installed with the radiator in place..

And, is the fuel line routed correctly? or isn't it supposed to pass on the passenger's side of the distributor toward's the carb?  I'm still learning as well so hopefully other's will chime in with my opinions.  ;)
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »
On a 1965 air cleaner, doesn't the Autolite decal go on the side and not the top?

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »
Also the shock tower braces should be black like the engine compartment, I believe.  Also missing the bracket that holds the AC linces together to the shock tower brace...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »
P&O for the tube braces, not the brackets.
You were not very clear in the description.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »
On a 1965 air cleaner, doesn't the Autolite decal go on the side and not the top?

Greg

I believe he has that right but I don't know what that small rectangular decal is near where the hose connects.  Never seen that one before...  Also the heater hose at the top looks funny?  Shouldn't that be angled back more than to the side like that?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 07:38:52 PM »
looks like an air cleaner p/n decal. does not belong.
5F09C331248

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 07:41:49 PM »
looks like an air cleaner p/n decal. does not belong.

I've seen that decal in that location a few times on original cars.  Like the battery inspection decal, the part number decal was paper and didn't last long.

Offline vtstang

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 04:05:18 PM »
Also the shock tower braces should be black like the engine compartment, I believe.  Also missing the bracket that holds the AC linces together to the shock tower brace...

The bracket you mentioned ...... Can you give me a source for this?

Thanks.

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »
That bracket you're wondering about is currently not being reproduced anywhere that I know of.  Someone may have a used one. 
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252