Author Topic: Trap door prop handle in service  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Angela

Trap door prop handle in service
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »
Any chance someone could post a picture of their trap door in the open position, showing the handle in relationship to the catch in the trunk? I know I have the handle bolted to the trap door in the correct position, yet there is no way it will catch the latch feature in the trunk. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or have misundertstood. A pic might clear this up. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trap door prop handle in service
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:36:24 PM »
IF someone don't provide something by Wed I'll grab a fastback and up the trap door up and snap some pictures for you.  Don't have one in the collection :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:27:56 PM »
     Well until Jeff or someone else provides the picture you want;  This is the set up on a March, 68 San Jose car.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:56:22 AM »
Thanks for the pic!!! You don't happen to have a picture available showing the same exact handle with the trap door in its open position, do you? I understand how to bolt the handle to the trap door, I just don't understand how the handle hooks to the sheet-metal bracket (which is welded to the car) in order to hold the trap door open. I am beginning to wonder if my handle is bent (it doesn't appear obviously bent), because there is just no possible way I can get it to hold the door open. I cannot locate one single picture of anyone's car with this door open. Bang head here.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »
     No, I do not have a photo of the door in the open position.  I can tell you this trap door handle and its operation is a very marginal affair.  To get the handle into the side bracket that holds the door open takes two hands, some bending and flexing of the handle and the same procedure to close.  The trap door and open/close method was the best that could be contrived that's my opinion anyway.  The set up in my 69 is much the same; crappy.  The trapdoor and handle affair in my 65 is the better arrangement of the ones I have dealt with.   Brian
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:40:52 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »
68, 7-16-68 build

Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »
Tim, thanks Sir!!! Great pics. It appears I have to bend the handle a lot more than anticipated in order for it to catch the "hook" welded to the body. I'll try again.