Author Topic: Gray sealer details on 65 Dearborn Fastback c code body stamps 28Jan65  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Ogresko

• 1965 C Code Honey Gold Fastback (modified)
In the process of having the car restored and it is down to the bare shell and we have come across this gray spray spatter sealer paint. I have seen a few pictures where it is shown on the rear cross members, and other frame areas. Mine has a fair amount in the trunk area on the inner part of the rear window support. Were there other areas where this was used? The car will be sealed in gray epoxy and then undercoated once the metal work is complete.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Gray sealer details on 65 Dearborn Fastback c code body stamps 28Jan65
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:11:24 PM »
In the process of having the car restored and it is down to the bare shell and we have come across this gray spray spatter sealer paint. I have seen a few pictures where it is shown on the rear cross members, and other frame areas. Mine has a fair amount in the trunk area on the inner part of the rear window support. Were there other areas where this was used? The car will be sealed in gray epoxy and then undercoated once the metal work is complete.
I have never seen gray spatter paint used on 65-70 Mustang. Most likely past owner applied.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Ogresko

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »
It does seem to be there from the factory as it is over the factory primer and under where the trunk hinges were and also under the original honey gold and under the 2 or 3 coats of resale red that the car accumulated over it's life. It is in a spot where it would never have been re painted. It also is along the underside and inside of the trunk filler panel support and also under the paint on the rear valance support. I did a bit of research yesterday and a convertible at maple hills restoration added this gray paint as a sealer in certain spots so I wanted to find out whether or not it needed it to be restored. Disregard the horrid tan house paint that someone thought was a good idea for the trunk.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »
It does seem to be there from the factory as it is over the factory primer and under where the trunk hinges were and also under the original honey gold and under the 2 or 3 coats of resale red that the car accumulated over it's life. It is in a spot where it would never have been re painted. It also is along the underside and inside of the trunk filler panel support and also under the paint on the rear valance support. I did a bit of research yesterday and a convertible at maple hills restoration added this gray paint as a sealer in certain spots so I wanted to find out whether or not it needed it to be restored. Disregard the horrid tan house paint that someone thought was a good idea for the trunk.
Sorry grey "spatter" paint is not typically from what i have seen over the years . Maybe someone  else has seen "spatter" paint used on this type application? I for one remain skeptical. Are you sure of your definition of "spatter" paint? "Spatter" paint is not a solid color of anything . It is a pattern of different individual colors that are spit out of the spray gun to form a pattern. Typically a assortment of different shades of gray to black. Can you write what your definition of spatter paint is if different then that?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Ogresko

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 04:53:52 PM »
sorry I should have been more descriptive. It is just gray sealer paint that has sprayed well in some spots and spattered in others. It is not speckled or anything like that it is consistent coloured gray paint that has "spattered" like when blobs come out of a dirty spray gun. Not "speckled" like a pattern of different grays  or blacks, etc. bad word choice ooops. Just wondering where throughout the car this should be still visible?

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »
How about a close up picture?  Helps avoid misinterpretation of words.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »
Sounds like the typical sealer primer used as a final coat before paint.  We typically see this applied to only exterior facing surfaces.  So, say your hood was red-oxide primer on top of bare metal, top and bottom.  The gray sealer would be applied to the top and then exterior color applied to both sides.

Some assembly plant installed parts after the gray primer, so we sometimes see gray on the rear quarter panels when the end caps are removed.  Or a line of gray behind the edge on the tail-light panel where the rear valence attaches.

It is also typical to see the pot metal parts primed only with this same gray primer.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
Agree that some pictures might help a bit.

As Charles mentioned there was a light gray primer filler applied to the exterior body but there is no direct way it would have normally gotten any frame rail. Since those were galvanized I wonder of the grey splatter your seeing is that finish that is old, oxidized and breaking down.

Once the car is painted little or none of the light gray will normally be visible unless the exterior painter missed some coverage possible (very small area) of the rear wheel lip in the shadow of that surface. But IMHO that is a stretch

Most common place I find it is behind the rear valance on the rear taillight panel ( about a 1/2" strip) never seen once the car is together
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)