Author Topic: Barrett-Jackson Auction 1966 K vert  (Read 2274 times)

Offline carlizard

Barrett-Jackson Auction 1966 K vert
« on: January 18, 2014, 04:28:02 PM »
Restored by a Shelby expert out of Milwaukee to the tune of $125,000. This original K Code convertible was restored with either NOS parts or original Ford sheet metal. Has all the original K Code components, dual exhaust, rear end and disc brakes. Finished in the original colors Candy Apple Red with black Pony interior. It is very rare combination to find the K Code GT package in a convertible. Factory 4-speed car with all the Hi-po engine parts, distributor, alternator, block, etc  Sold for $84,700.00.

Here's a link to it's web page:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=966&aid=525
1964.5 260
Body:   76A   
Color:   M   
Trim:    89   
Date:   30G   
D.S.O:  75   
Axle:    1   
Trans:    6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Barrett-Jackson Auction 1966 K vert
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »
Very strong price IMHO. IF the story written is correct the  owner took a bath on the car even at that strong of a price for the car. Most likely  to the tune (just an estimate) of maybe $60K or more

Wonder if the door tag is a repo or original.

Wonder who the un named "expert" was??  Sure made a fair number of  basics mistakes in the engine compartment.

Know a couple of good restorers in that area - just don't think they would build a car like this  nor call themselves "experts" ;) 

More humble than that   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:52:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline carlizard

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 11:20:26 PM »
I agree about the price, but it seems that most cars sold this year are setting records.  I couldn't imagine how one could reasonably spend $125,000.00 restoring this car unless 1) it was a basket case or 2) money is no object.
1964.5 260
Body:   76A   
Color:   M   
Trim:    89   
Date:   30G   
D.S.O:  75   
Axle:    1   
Trans:    6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 11:37:45 PM »
I agree about the price, but it seems that most cars sold this year are setting records.  I couldn't imagine how one could reasonably spend $125,000.00 restoring this car unless 1) it was a basket case or 2) money is no object.

Don't know about records - see plenty that are not close to high water mark from a few years ago.  Like always there will be sales that will make you think - "that was a good deal" while others will make you wonder how much the two bidders were drinking. Of course allot of the non- reserve cars are often not sold or even have real money - just air bids to try and catch real money on the way up to just below the reserve or to not embarrass the car/owner

Its a game and a show - especially the televised ones. No wait - they all are at least some of the times ;)

Depends on shop rates and such. Know shops that charge $250K (not including the car price) for worst restorations - and the customers keep lining up.

Not unusual in some circles for paint jobs (without body work) to start at 20K just for the exterior.

Currently watching the Russo & Steele since it at least has reserves - and likely because of that more Boss's and Shelby's than BJ this year
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:39:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 07:39:30 PM »
Very easy to spend $125k, but would think only for a Thoroughbred-level car or maybe someone just writing checks to a high end restoration shop.

Don't think this is any kind of record price.  A '65 GT convertible A code that I restored in 2005 sold last year at Gooding & Co. for $90k.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 66candy

• 66 Mustang Convertible Phote Book Restoration
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 04:43:54 AM »
First thing I noticed is that the grill is not completly blacked!
Erwin, The Netherlands

66 Red Convertible, 289/4V AT/PS/PDB/PT

priceless

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 08:48:45 AM »
I figure if people are ridiculous enough to spend $80K-$100K+ for any 64.5-66 (not Shelby), then let them have at it. I'm sure they have more money than sense and most likely know they are not in the market to resale for profit. JMO.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »
I was at Barrett Jackson this past weekend and saw many errors with a lot of the cars there.  There were several C and A code cars that had the hi-po badge on the fender.  Several GT's that were C codes.  There was a 66 T-5 there that looked to be correct as it had the T-5 emblems and the steering wheel was missing the word Mustang on it but I couldn't see the data plate.  There was a nice A code fastback there that appeared to be a GT but the car's VIN number was before mine and was built 3 days before my car in Oct of 64.  Still had the Falcon instrumentation.  I'm sure I probably saw the car above but I don't remember if this was the one that my dad checked to see if the crush blocks were in it and they were...Was also picking apart the 69 GTO judges and how there were several things notright about them either and they were going for over $100k.

Chris
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe