Author Topic: 1968 Ivy Gold interior questions  (Read 3201 times)

Offline foejox

1968 Ivy Gold interior questions
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:22:55 PM »
Starting the process of restoring my 1968 GT interior back to it's original Ivy Gold and was trying to determine what was the original color of the dash pad. I have seen photos that appear to be a dark green pad but I can't seem to locate a reproduction
that is dark green as they all appear to be the lighter green. I have also seen a dark green carpet and the lighter green, which is the correct color. Where can I find the best repro deluxe door panels.
Joe in Oklahoma
1968 GT Coupe - Four Speed, AC, PS, DB
Built at Dearborn April 4th - 8F01J174881

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
Re: 1968 Ivy Gold interior questions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »
These shots are from an untouched original 68' coupe.  Lime Gold with Ivy Gold interior.  It has a dark green dash pad and dark green carpet. (grabbed these shots before the car was shipped to Japan) When I restored my Ivy Gold interior in 2007, I could not find a Dark Green dash pad.  Tried to dye it, but failed.
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline foejox

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:29:36 PM »
Thanks for the info. I have found the dark green carpet but cannot find a dark green dash pad.
Joe in Oklahoma

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:39:52 PM »

I wish you luck in your search, finding near mint to mint original 68 dash pads is becoming very hard, the last black one sold for around $3000 on ebay. You might want to get a reproduction and constantly search for an original green one, it took me a few years to find a near mint dark brown pad.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline foejox

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »
After removing the dash pad we discovered the dash vin plate under the pad (see photo). It looks like a previous owner just put the pad over the vin when he changed the interior color. I was wanting to check and make sure that vin plate should come up between the dash pad and lower trim as I had read some where that it came through a small slit in the pad.
Joe in Oklahoma

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 01:50:41 PM »
After removing the dash pad we discovered the dash vin plate under the pad (see photo). It looks like a previous owner just put the pad over the vin when he changed the interior color. I was wanting to check and make sure that vin plate should come up between the dash pad and lower trim as I had read some where that it came through a small slit in the pad.

Is the vin plate supposed to be held on by screws on a '68?  I was expecting to see rivets, but I'm more of a '65-66 guy.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 02:33:49 PM »
Is the vin plate supposed to be held on by screws on a '68?  I was expecting to see rivets, but I'm more of a '65-66 guy.

No screws originally its been off and on at least once it appears. If looked at for some reason any state DMV official would have a field day with this discovery
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline foejox

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
I'm not to worried about the DMV with all of the other vins matching that I have found  :).
Joe in Oklahoma

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »
I'm not to worried about the DMV with all of the other vins matching that I have found  :).

The Trand and engine vins can't (in most or all states) be used to register a car.

They don't proved anything to the DMV official since they are not welded to the body ;)

The issue is that screws prove that the VIN has been tampered with - a federal offense  though rarely are they going to pull the dash pad on a car - I've seen it done by dozens of state officials before they took the cars on those that "didn't look right"

Just voicing an experienced opinion ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 06:13:20 PM »
(Psssst - remove the screws and pop rivet the VIN plate in place. I did not say that, I wasn't here, I don't know you.
The Phantom.)
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline foejox

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
(Psssst - remove the screws and pop rivet the VIN plate in place. I did not say that, I wasn't here, I don't know you.
The Phantom.)

That thought had crossed my mind  :).
Joe in Oklahoma