Author Topic: Repro. Carpet Underlayment--Cut Backwards from Original?  (Read 5081 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Repro. Carpet Underlayment--Cut Backwards from Original?
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »
Hi guys, I'm finishing up the floorpan repair on my '67 Metuchen coupe, and now I'm moving on to the carpet underlayment.  The original underlayment was still intact, but was extremely brittle and wanted to crumble when removed.  I ordered a reproduction underlayment kit but kept the original pieces to use as patterns in case anything was different with the reproduction. 

I immediately noticed that the reproduction underlayment that goes around the shifter is much shorter than my original, almost as if it were made for a convertible with a one-piece seat riser.  That's no big deal, though, I ordered a trunk underlayment that I can cut up to make new pieces if needed.

However, one thing I did notice, and it's really confusing me.  Again, the original underlayment was intact and looked completely undisturbed.  The originals were installed with the jute side down against the floorpan.  The reproduction kit is cut to install exactly the opposite: the backing is intended to go down against the floorpans, and the jute faces up. 

Was the underlayment intended to install this way, with the jute up?  I started to simply install it that way, since it will never be seen again, but figured I'd ask first.  Thanks!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: Repro. Carpet Underlayment--Cut Backwards from Original?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »
Hi guys, I'm finishing up the floorpan repair on my '67 Metuchen coupe, and now I'm moving on to the carpet underlayment.  The original underlayment was still intact, but was extremely brittle and wanted to crumble when removed.  I ordered a reproduction underlayment kit but kept the original pieces to use as patterns in case anything was different with the reproduction. 

I immediately noticed that the reproduction underlayment that goes around the shifter is much shorter than my original, almost as if it were made for a convertible with a one-piece seat riser.  That's no big deal, though, I ordered a trunk underlayment that I can cut up to make new pieces if needed.

However, one thing I did notice, and it's really confusing me.  Again, the original underlayment was intact and looked completely undisturbed.  The originals were installed with the jute side down against the floorpan.  The reproduction kit is cut to install exactly the opposite: the backing is intended to go down against the floorpans, and the jute faces up. 

Was the underlayment intended to install this way, with the jute up?  I started to simply install it that way, since it will never be seen again, but figured I'd ask first.  Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the underlayment kit that you purchased but, I'll just mention that I have a '66 San Jose Fastback that was the original underlayment with the jute side up.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:35:03 PM »
Brant, it's NPD p/n 011172-6A.  It's the 4-piece set that does the front and rear footwells as well as the area around the shifter.  I also ordered the piece that installs under the rear seat.  Oddly enough, even though it's from the same manufacturer and was packaged the same as the other pieces, the rear seat underlayment is cut to install with the jute down.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 05:32:06 PM »
Since the patterns will fit either way (can't think of a single detail that is specifically drivers or passenger side)  it might just be a result of the worker on your car throwing the underlayment in backwards and not correcting it - just going with the way it landed. As a side note, in earlier years there are some periods and plants they used underlayment with no jute layer 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:09:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:15:18 PM »
Jeff, the only detail I can think of--and it's why I noticed that something was wrong to begin with--is the cutout for the dimmer switch. 

I know lots of deviations happened on the assembly line, but did Ford actually intend for the jute to face upward?  I'd like to know for future cars and other projects.  I always thought the jute padding, when used, faced down towards the floor.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »
Jeff, the only detail I can think of--and it's why I noticed that something was wrong to begin with--is the cutout for the dimmer switch. 

Then its most likely based on your report that someone at the plant making the stuff put the sheet in the cutter upside down

I know lots of deviations happened on the assembly line, but did Ford actually intend for the jute to face upward?  I'd like to know for future cars and other projects.  I always thought the jute padding, when used, faced down towards the floor.

Would suggest no - Ford did not intend for the jute to be on top or your finding would not be something to be mentioned/discussed or unusual '

Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »
Then its most likely based on your report that someone at the plant making the stuff put the sheet in the cutter upside down

Sorry to beat a dead horse Jeff, but I want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly.  The correct, "Ford-intended" installation method on the jute-backed sound deadener was to install it with the tar paper cover facing down, against the floorpans, and the jute to be facing up, towards the carpet/headliner?  Does that make any sense?   :D

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 08:41:12 PM »
Sorry to beat a dead horse Jeff, but I want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly.  The correct, "Ford-intended" installation method on the jute-backed sound deadener was to install it with the tar paper cover facing down, against the floorpans, and the jute to be facing up, towards the carpet/headliner?  Does that make any sense?   :D

No problem - given that we've found thousands of jute and tar (just those two layers) in car after car with the jute being installed to the floor pan, down , away from the carpet/headliner ;)  I would think that is the way it was intended. In other years the underlayment was a single layer of tar based material while other years the top and bottom tar material sandwiched a jute layer between those two layers
Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
No problem - given that we've found thousands of jute and tar (just those two layers) in car after car with the jute being installed to the floor pan, down , away from the carpet/headliner ;)  I would think that is the way it was intended. In other years the underlayment was a single layer of tar based material while other years the top and bottom tar material sandwiched a jute layer between those two layers

Ok, that's what I thought was "correct," too.  Then my car was correct originally, since the jute side was installed towards the floor pan.  I guess this means that the repro. kit is cut incorrectly after all, then.

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
I had the same issue with the underlayment pieces I bought from Ssnake-Oyl for my '67 Convertible - the original Ford underlayment had the jute side facing down, but the repro pieces had the jute side facing up...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3115.msg42941#msg42941
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 12:42:08 AM »
I've typically seen the tar side down.  There are also different variations of the sound deadener mats, some have jute, some don't.  I believe the Ssnake-Oyl style was making them so the jute side went down.  Personally, I would want tar side down in case the jute sucked up some moisture.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 03:06:26 AM »
I've typically seen the tar side down.  There are also different variations of the sound deadener mats, some have jute, some don't.  I believe the Ssnake-Oyl style was making them so the jute side went down.  Personally, I would want tar side down in case the jute sucked up some moisture.
+1 . I have seen that happen with some of the Ssnake -Oyl ones,with some rusty results.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 01:06:02 PM »
I went ahead and put it in with the tar side down.  I know it's not original, but I took a ton of pictures of the original insulation both inside and outside of the car.  I even went back and made cardboard templates in case I ever have to make any underlayment from a generic piece.  And with the repro. carpet being as thin as it is (seriously, you can hold it up to the light and see through it), I figure I'll have to revisit this area in a few years when I replace the carpet again.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:03 PM »
Ran across this original 67 with the original carpet and underlayment still in place. Thought I would offer this example to the discussion and for future owners

Color of jute used - both blackish and brown

Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 08:55:49 AM »
Ran across this original 67 with the original carpet and underlayment still in place. Thought I would offer this example to the discussion and for future owners

Color of jute used - both blackish and brown

That's how my car was also.