Author Topic: Cowl Paint Details - 1965 San Jose  (Read 2769 times)

Offline rockhouse66

Cowl Paint Details - 1965 San Jose
« on: December 29, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »
I searched myself silly looking for an answer here but didn't find one, so here goes.  I assume (?) that the area under the cowl panel (louvered panel in front of the windshield) was red oxide.  Yes?

The assembly manual instructs ESB M7C29-A rust preventative be used "under cowl top panel at louvered area".  What color is this rust preventative and how the heck would they do this once the cowl is in place?  Through the vent openings maybe?

It also says this should be done "subsequent to final body color application".  Well, the definition of "subsequent to" means after, so how did they apply anything to the back of the louvers after body color was applied and not get it all over the finish paint?

I must be missing something fundamental here.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Cowl Paint Details - 1965 San Jose
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »
OK, I was thinking about this upside down (literally).  I have it figured out now EXCEPT I am still interested to know the color and particulars of the rust preventative ESB M7C29-A.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 07:56:20 PM »
The rust preventative is probably a zinc coating, although, like you, I have no idea how any coating could be applied once the cowl is welded in place.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »
Charles

My paint guy figures they used something called a needle gun and stuck it down in the cowl louvers.  It must have been some sort of black paint, to black out the plenum and erase the body color overspray that would otherwise look ugly down in there.  Seems someone in the hobby would know how to translate these codes though - since they are used throughout the assembly manuals.

I tried Google and found places you can go to read the specifications, but none of the descriptions I found actually provide any info.  One site will sell you a PDF of the actual spec sheet for $30.  I guess I don't want to know that badly  ::)
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
I'm not recalling any 65-66 cars that I observed with original paint and blacked out inside the cowls.  Do you have any examples?

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:30:26 PM »
Well, I guess I "assumed" they were blacked out in there since the assembly manual suggests something was done, and it would definitely improve the looks.  No, I don't have any original examples.  I'm just trying to figure out what the assembly manual says to do here.

So, an original paint car - assume it is white - would have basically zebra stripes beneath the cowl grill?  Would they be red oxide/white or black/white?

As much trouble as Ford went to, blacking out things like horn wires so you can't see them through the grill, you would think they would do something in this area to improve the visual.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:36:18 AM »
Well, I guess I "assumed" they were blacked out in there since the assembly manual suggests something was done, and it would definitely improve the looks.  No, I don't have any original examples.  I'm just trying to figure out what the assembly manual says to do here.

Just me but I would never use the assembly line manuals to guide me on how to apply sealer or paint on a restored car. ALLOT of the details shown are nothing like what they did on the line ;)

So, an original paint car - assume it is white - would have basically zebra stripes beneath the cowl grill?  Would they be red oxide/white or black/white?

No zebra stripes just body color overspray from the paint application fading towards all side to no paint the further away the panel is from the opening (cowl vent on the top of the cowl) I've never seen black as a base and never red oxide visible unless the exterior color has started to chip or bubble from age and rust

Just prep it and then apply the body color from as many angles as possible IMHO the challenge is producing a large amount of oversray as they did originally with the new paint guys most painters have.  And don't over think things too much ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CW4macret

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »
Based on how many I have seen that are rusted out in all the early fords I always thought, other than what blew through while the car was painted, they used no paint at all inside the cowl.
Mac
64.5, 5F07D
66 Convertible 6T08T
71 Mach1 429CJ 1F05J
01 Coupe
05 GT
08 GT500
14 GT500

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »
Based on how many I have seen that are rusted out in all the early fords I always thought, other than what blew through while the car was painted, they used no paint at all inside the cowl.
+1. If you are concerned about rust protection you could prep accordingly and  cover with a metal color paint  before final coat. Most effective when cowl is a part so you can get to bottom side of fins etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:35:07 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »
I remember reading somewhere, maybe in Ford docs, that the cowl structure pieces were originally left bare steel, but then later on in production, the parts were zinc plated for further protection.  I've seen this first-hand when stripping paint off a cowl this zinc plating.  Same coating using on the heavy steel uni-body components like frame rails, etc...