Author Topic: Correct Seat Belts for an Early 65 Fastback with Standard Interior?  (Read 10130 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Re: Correct Seat Belts for an Early 65 Fastback with Standard Interior?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »
blk65fstbk,

I recently had the privilege to view an all original, original owner, un-restored very early '65 Dearborn Coupe. So early in fact that it has carpeting with vinyl going up the sides of the rockers. It also has a D-Code Engine, something I though was exclusive to the '64-1/2. There were many other '64-1/2 features but the fact that it has an Alternator means it is a '65. I crawled all over, in and under the car for hours looking for any signs that the car had been updated at some point. Then the owner produced all of the original paperwork, including the window sticker, a letter from Ford as he was an employee of Ford at that time and dated Polaroid Photos of the car when brand new. This was unmistakably, an all original, every document matched.

The reason I went into this much detail is that the Front Seatbelts are of the Loop and Hook design and they have the Split Metal Painted Buckles. The Widow Sticker did not indicate that the Belts were optional nor Dealer Installed. The only Options listed are the Engine, Automatic Transmission, AC, Backup Lights and AM Radio. Because of the overwhelming evidence of originality, I have no reason to believe that the Seat Belts are anything but original.

His cars Build Date is August 23rd 1964. Because of the slightly more than 2 months difference between your cars, I don't know whether there was a change made to the Seat Belts during that time. As such, I cannot say for sure that your belts would have been the same; I'm not expert enough. Hopefully someone else can expand on what I found to be of more help to you.

I'm in the process of negotiating a deal on the car. The price he is asking is very reasonable but the engine has a dead cylinder. I plan to leave it in the Un-Restored Original Category and should he agree to sell the car to me, I will take photos of the Belts. Currently, he won't allow any photos. Apparently, he's had many picture takers but no buyers, so I'm paying the price. Smart on his part, this way he was more likely to have serious buyers come by not just tire kickers and since I'm the only one who has spent so much time looking at the car, he feels comfortable selling it to me knowing I'll take good care of it...just comes down to price. I'm his last consideration, if we cannot agree on a price then he plans to give it to his Niece and her husband...fingers crossed.

Hope this helps.

Ray
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:32:13 PM by suskeenwiske »
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline rodster

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »
Wow, sounds like a great car.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Interesting observation about the seat belts....
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
The reason I went into this much detail is that the Front Seatbelts are of the Loop and Hook design and they have the Split Metal Painted Buckles. The Widow Sticker did not indicate that the Belts were optional nor Dealer Installed.

Interesting - would guess that there is something missing from the story. Not that unusual after all these years.

Does sound like a neat car - look forward to pictures ;) once you have it in your possession

Good luck - its all about the approach and reading the seller  :D
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 11:13:26 PM »
Jeff,

Got me a little worried...should I be on the lookout for something concerning 'something missing from the story?'
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 05:36:58 PM »
Jeff,

Got me a little worried...should I be on the lookout for something concerning 'something missing from the story?'

Not really IMHO the fact that it has those seat belts and is not supported by documentation is not a BIG deal IMHO but something you'll want to figure out in the long run - at least if it were me it would make me want to figure out what happened. It in no way reflects on the rest of the car just one of those details that makes you go Hmmm... - the likely reason you mentioned it here ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)