Author Topic: SMOG PUMP DATE CODE  (Read 2633 times)

Offline mustang6er

SMOG PUMP DATE CODE
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:55:34 PM »
Can anybody help me figure out the date codes on these smog pumps?
the one with a bunch of dots is stamped 02062 in the housing
the one with a small cluster of dots is stamped 23551 in the housing
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:25:32 AM by mustang6er »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: SMOG PUMP DATE CODE
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 02:01:21 AM »
Bottom one looks like it might be Jun 6th 65

Top one has allot of dots.

Should find another (stamped date) on the section that is machined off in a sort of half circle (one of the webs) on the exterior surface> side not the end
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mustang6er

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 03:33:16 AM »
Heres a pic of the stampings, how to interpret them and how they correspond with the casting? thats the million dollar question. Thanks
Bob

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »
Weren't smog pumps made by Delco, or some other GM division? If the pumps were made by a non-Ford supplied they might not be marked in a form we are accustomed to.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »
Heres a pic of the stampings, how to interpret them and how they correspond with the casting? thats the million dollar question. Thanks
Bob

That pattern and sequence of numbers don't match what I've typically seen on an original - more commonly the year, month, day of month & shift pattern

Have a fair number of them at the shop - just haven't collected a bunch of pictures of them :(   One I'm putting on the Boss motor is a rebuilt so no telling where it originally came from and I didn't restamp it was I would if doing a full restoration - or find another one

Jeff Speegle

Offline Engineer

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:28:16 AM »
These air (smog) pumps were manufactured by Saganaw Steering Gear ..... at that time a division of GM (now Nexteer).

The pie date code on the casting is from the casting sub-supplier. The number in the center "65" does refer to 1965. The wedges around the perimeter number 12 .... for 12 months in the year. The supplier starts at a wedge in this case the top and worked counter clockwise. Each week or production run made in a month is recorded by creating a dot in the wedge using a drill point. So in this case, the tool was used for production in January through June. It was out of service in July and August. It then was again in production in September. I cannot accurately count the number of dots in the "September" wedge ..... so you would read this: Week or run (fill in blank based on number of dots), September, 1965.

The number 23551 are the last 5 digits of the Saginaw Steering Gear part number for the component they mark (not necessarily the final assembly part number).

The number sequence Jeff is showing is the typical date code ... the stamped in number.

This air pumps have been remanufactured for decades. The remanufacturers were not religious about matching date codes and components from cores.

Hope this helps!

Rick

Offline 67gt390fb

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 10:53:27 PM »
I think i found the answer for the date codes on 1966 and 1967 (early?)  smog pumps.  as in the pictures of third post, they have 5 digit numbers, stamped into a pad on  the side of the aluminum housing, which translate to:
DDDY#    DDD= julian calander day,       Y= year,        # = shift code  ?

I dug out a few smog pumps and found:   12471   which would be:  May 4 1967
                                                                  28461   which would be:  Oct  11 1966
                                                                  25061   which would be:  Sept 7 1966
                                                                  15771   which would be:  June 6 1967

from third posting    02062        would be         Jan 20  1966
what do you think?

found clue on camero site here:
http://www.camaros.org/emissions.shtml
7R02S153xxx      12/15/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 11:45:13 PM »
I think i found the answer for the date codes on 1966 and 1967 (early?)  smog pumps..................

what do you think?

For the earlier cars and that version of dating the pumps we would have a better idea if we knew what cars each pump originally came from. IMHO that cross reference would add some credibility/assurance to the idea

Of course with a one digit year code (if the decoding is correct) a 7 could be 67, 77, or 87 since service replacements were made for a long time since these are emission parts and companies are suppose to keep them in stock for the longer amount of time. Sure there is a federal requirement in print somewhere 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:51:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67_1183

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 01:16:56 AM »
Here is a pic from my 1/26/67 SJ car.  I removed the smog system in October 1976, shortly after the first time I changed the spark plugs.

January 5, 1967 might work.
2nd owner of 1967 GT-500 #1183 since September 1976

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »
I think i found the answer for the date codes on 1966 and 1967 (early?)  smog pumps.  as in the pictures of third post, they have 5 digit numbers, stamped into a pad on  the side of the aluminum housing, which translate to:

I dug out a few smog pumps and found:   12471   which would be:  May 4 1967
                                                                  28461   which would be:  Oct  11 1966
                                                                  25061   which would be:  Sept 7 1966
                                                                  15771   which would be:  June 6 1967

from third posting    02062        would be         Jan 20  1966
what do you think?

found clue on camero site here:
http://www.camaros.org/emissions.shtml
For the earlier cars and that version of dating the pumps we would have a better idea if we knew what cars each pump originally came from. IMHO that cross reference would add some credibility/assurance to the idea

Of course with a one digit year code (if the decoding is correct) a 7 could be 67, 77, or 87 since service replacements were made for a long time since these are emission parts and companies are suppose to keep them in stock for the longer amount of time. Sure there is a federal requirement in print somewhere 

To add to findings: I have a July 67 final assembly date 289 engine here with a July dated smog pump on it (using the Julian date suggestion) adding a little credence to the theory. I also have another pump with a late 65 date on it that was said to be removed from a 66 289 but no engine or vehicle date to add for more evidence.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments