Author Topic: 1965 Dearborn 8" Differential Paint Marking 289 2V C4v  (Read 2456 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
1965 Dearborn 8" Differential Paint Marking 289 2V C4v
« on: November 30, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »
The attached is a photo of a photo I took 13 years ago; scanning didn't work. This was my first restoration project and sadly one of only a few photos that are high quality enough to post...the camera wasn't the best and the photographer wasn't either.

The Differential is from a Dearborn Built 1965 Coupe with a 289 C-Code Engine, C4 Transmission, A/C, PS, PB and nearly every other option available at that time. The build date is 28R, DSO 61, Axle Code 6, Trans Code 6. I do not know what the 17 means but I do know that it was an original marking and recently I saw a photo on-line that had a very similar marking on the Carrier rather than the Housing. I also have the original Leaf Springs with very faint traces of three paint stripes. If I can get a good enough photo, I'll post it as well.

Does anyone know what the 17 meant?

Thanks

Ray
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:15:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1965 Dearborn 8" Differential Paint Marking 289 2V C4v
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »
............The Differential is from a Dearborn Built 1965 Coupe with a 289 C-Code Engine, C4 Transmission, A/C, PS, PB and nearly every other option available at that time. The build date is 28R, DSO 61, Axle Code 6, Trans Code 6. I do not know what the 17 means but I do know that it was an original marking and recently I saw a photo on-line that had a very similar marking on the Carrier rather than the Housing. I also have the original Leaf Springs with very faint traces of three paint stripes. ....................

Interesting IMHO that you found stripes on the rear springs - though its a spring built car

Does anyone know what the 17 meant?

Would guess that the 17 might be the car's rotation number from the second half of the assembly process. Would have been on the build sheet and the front radiator support/front cross member typically given the plant and year
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
Interesting. 

I'll have to look for that on my 65 Dearborn car which was scheduled 9 days before yours. (And pretty well loaded with options too!) I have what I think is a rotation number on the rad support so maybe it will match?

Any suggestions on how best to clean the area to look while the rear is on the car?

Thanks for posting!  :)

By the way, the paint marks on my springs were not stripes.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:13:39 PM by rodster »
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 12:11:06 AM »
Any suggestions on how best to clean the area to look while the rear is on the car?

A light spray cleaner - anything strong can dissolve the old paint/crayon. Start out weak and increase the strength of the cleaner till you get the results your looking for - taking pictures along the way just in case you pass the best point ;)

I carry a spray bottle when going to wrecking yards with a weakened Simple Green or Purple cleaner in it since often a damp mark will stand out more (increases the contrast) than a dry one.  Some times a LIGHT/SOFT brush will help with circular motion

Just have to put up with the bubbles in the shot or wait till they all go away (if its not too hot outside) then get the pictures. Take a bunch and the best one to illustrate what you find;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 01:01:11 AM »
Cleaning is always tricky. If heavily encrusted I usually start with a plastic putty knife, expired credit card or anything else that reduces the chance of damaging the surface. I never use solvents at first...too risky, just warm water and liquid dishwashing detergent. As far as getting under the car, getting it on a lift or over a pit would be nice, otherwise squirming on the ground is about all that you can do and is how I mostly get under the car.

I did not find anything on the Radiator Support or the Cross Member; all original but just didn't survive. I did find writing on both of the front Aprons but that's all. The Driver Side has 3 zeros at the bottom, 2 threes and a faint 5 or letter S. The Passenger Side clearly shows 2 two's at the top, just below are 2 more smaller two's and below that 2 ones. Black Paint obscures the two's and ones; unfortunately the photos I took after cleaning away the paint did not develop properly and I never took any more of those areas.

The stripes, though faint, were clearly stripes; very straight and side-by-side with just a little space between each stripe. The Leaf Springs are in storage so I couldn't take a quick peek but if I recall correctly the colors were Green, Yellow and White and only on the Passenger side Spring between the Spring Perch and Shackle. Unless I can get a clear photo however, I can't substantiate this claim.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline rodster

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 11:57:48 PM »
A light spray cleaner - anything strong can dissolve the old paint/crayon. Start out weak and increase the strength of the cleaner till you get the results your looking for - taking pictures along the way just in case you pass the best point ;)

I carry a spray bottle when going to wrecking yards with a weakened Simple Green or Purple cleaner in it since often a damp mark will stand out more (increases the contrast) than a dry one.  Some times a LIGHT/SOFT brush will help with circular motion

Just have to put up with the bubbles in the shot or wait till they all go away (if its not too hot outside) then get the pictures. Take a bunch and the best one to illustrate what you find;)

Uhhhh Jeff, back here we have to deal with a thing called RUST.  ;)  Have to get through that first.

I've sanded lightly followed by spraying w/ water to get markings to stand out.  I've also used Evaporust in a spray bottle on some vertical surfaces with some success.  Always looking for better ideas.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:03:21 AM by rodster »
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 12:31:49 AM »
............ I did find writing on both of the front Aprons but that's all. The Driver Side has 3 zeros at the bottom, 2 threes and a faint 5 or letter S. The Passenger Side clearly shows 2 two's at the top, just below are 2 more smaller two's and below that 2 ones. Black Paint obscures the two's and ones; unfortunately the photos I took after cleaning away the paint did not develop properly and I never took any more of those areas........

Looks like your car got the "shopping list"  - just a term I've used for years for this pattern. Believe those marks were placed on the panels (one on the top of a stack) when a pallet of the same panels were combined for shipping to the assembly plants. Years ago there was a picture of 64-65 Dearborn line with the worker (looks very mush like our Charles Turner here:) swinging a body around and the passenger side inner fender panel has those (similar letters and numbers) on it

Have documented them being on cars from at least two of the plants - same pattern from 64-70 but very very few of the cars appear to have received them supporting IMHO the theory of their origin/purpose

If you have marks on a rusty piece  or only a few specks are left. Grab a camera - turn it on then spray the area with oven clear (you get one shot at this)

As the lye dissolves the mark it will expand and provide the color as sometimes a shape. Only to be used after you've tried everything else
Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 01:52:24 AM »

If you have marks on a rusty piece  or only a few specks are left. Grab a camera - turn it on then spray the area with oven clear (you get one shot at this)

As the lye dissolves the mark it will expand and provide the color as sometimes a shape. Only to be used after you've tried everything else

Sounds like a fun experiment on a test piece!  ;)  I'll have to give it a try sometime.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A