Author Topic: 1966 Proper Decals for 289 4v V8  (Read 5781 times)

Offline 66RagTop

1966 Proper Decals for 289 4v V8
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »
In need of guidance for proper decals to install on a 1966 Convertible. The car was built at the San Jose plant on December 30, 1965. It is an A code with a 289 4v V8 with C4 automatic. Specifically I would like to learn which are the proper engine bay decals to install and the proper location for the decals. If anyone has any images that would be greatly appreciated.If

Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 Proper Decals for 289 4v V8
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:15:39 PM »
First welcome to the site

Need to ask (just in case it impacts the location of certain engine compartment decals) if the car originally had AC or PS??

Only a couple of decals go in the engine compartment - please don't by one of the "kits" that the parts houses sell ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:20:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66RagTop

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »
Yes, the car originally and still has AC and power steering.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:44:33 PM »
Yes, the car originally and still has AC and power steering.

Good

First it appears from the examples that during your cars period at least one of the workers assigned to this task choose the following location possibility due to the AC and PS pumps being in their way

A code AC & PS  car from Jan - best closest example fo that detail

Air cleaner - Cubic inches on top - rectangle AUTOLITE on the drivers side.

Battery check decal - attached in this general area typically could be slightly up or down or  forward from the location highlighted

Could not find any examples from the mid production year with the service decal on the oil of the drivers side breather cap

Hope this helps a bit and again welcome to the site - hope you find it useful

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:48:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66RagTop

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 11:21:04 PM »
Jeff, this was a huge help! Thanks for the pics and information.

John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 02:20:27 PM »
Jeff, this was a huge help! Thanks for the pics and information.

What we're here for ;)

Will remind you and others again - don't buy the engine decal kit  ;D
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »
Will remind you and others again - don't buy the engine decal kit  ;D
Actually, don't USE all the items in the kit.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 04:12:48 PM »
Actually, don't USE all the items in the kit.
Jim

I don't think there are any more than two decals I would use in the "kit" out of maybe twelve decals - that's why I would suggest buying them individually. And since the better quality ones aren't sold in kits ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 06:29:31 PM »
I don't think there are any more than two decals I would use in the "kit" out of maybe twelve decals - that's why I would suggest buying them individually. And since the better quality ones aren't sold in kits ;)

+1
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »
It appears that the general "consensus" is that decals from kits are of an inferior quality. I tend to agree with that "consensus". I've bought several sets over the last 20-25 years and have seen many differences in the actual content on the decal, workmanship not withstanding. A few of the posts in this topic tell us to buy individual decals, but conspicuously omit a source. An observation? Just saying -
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 11:28:21 PM »
I think the general consensus is that the best quality decals are made by ECS.  I buy mine from NPD and Virginia Classic Mustang, but I know others also carry them.  They are the most correct, both in appearance and in material construction, IMHO. 

When I haven't been able to find correct reproductions, I have made reproductions on my computer.  This is a copy I made of the 65 Air Cleaner Part Number decal.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 12:26:38 AM »
........... A few of the posts in this topic tell us to buy individual decals, but conspicuously omit a source. An observation? Just saying -

Think that subject was covered in a thread either last week or the week before. 'Under the title of "Who Makes the Best Decal Set?"

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7448.msg42380#msg42380

Basically its ECS decals for some of the decals (available directly or through many of the major Mustang parts suppliers (look for the "concours decal" identification in the ads) or in some cases (for individual decals) specific decals are made/provided by Jim Cowles (for the HiPo air cleaner) or Jack Brooks for some of the 69-70 decals are a couple of examples

Some limited other decals are made by other individuals or people do them themselves, which often blossoms into a small business. Some people make/provide decals for show cars but don't advertize since they don't really want to be making decals all the time.  It might keep them from getting their other projects and stuff done ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:32:24 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
I pulled a couple of fender decals from my pile of decals for discussion purposes and scanned them. What do you look for? The top one is from Osborn Reproductions (stamped on the back), the next is an official Ford Motor Company product (many logos on the back), the third I don't know where it's from. I've had these for at least ten years. Note the differences in the 2nd and third, then look at the photo that Jeff posted of an original above. 
The questions are: different years between 1 and 2, and 3 and Jeff's?
Different "star" logo in front of AUTOLITE.
Different fonts.
Different backgrounds, 1 and 2 are dull aluminum, no 3 is shiny.
I also put two of the grove box tire pressure decals on the scanner but the non-Ford one was so shiny it reflected the scanner's light and turned black.
Jim   

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 11:07:22 PM »

There is even a 4th decal such as pictured in Jeff Speegle's #1 picture above which is definitely original.  It has the Dual lines on the outside borders.  I am wondering myself on how many Original variations of the '65-'66 Service Decal there were excluding the early 64 1/2 decal of course.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 12:24:51 AM »

There is even a 4th decal such as pictured in Jeff Speegle's #1 picture above which is definitely original.  ..........

Was that in 66?  Don't think we can count the ones Jim posted as being original variations. More likely just reproducers making things up to keep things easy - copying other reproductions :(  or printers substituting fonts and other details to "make it better"

Have way to many examples of places trying to make things better rather than just using my work as provided. Multiple business's have eaten hundreds of dollars worth of product when I would not accept or pay for the new and improved versions :(
Jeff Speegle