Author Topic: Identifying FW holes  (Read 4701 times)

Offline livetoride60

Re: Identifying FW holes
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 04:37:47 PM »
Thanks again Jim.

Well it gets more interesting.  Found a few more holes under globs of sealer.  Two above the heater and one below.  See pics.  Both are filled with what looks like original dum-dum or some sort of sealer.  The larger one on the bottom looks punched from the inside-out.  The two smaller ones above the heater look punched from outside-in.  You can see the curled back points of the punching (I assume) like on other FW holes in the last picture.

Any ideas?   ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:46:51 PM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 10:48:57 PM »
Well it gets more interesting.  Found a few more holes under globs of sealer.  Two above the heater and one below.  See pics.  Both are filled with what looks like original dum-dum or some sort of sealer.  The larger one on the bottom looks punched from the inside-out.  The two smaller ones above the heater look punched from outside-in.  You can see the curled back points of the punching (I assume) like on other FW holes in the last picture.

Any ideas?   ;)

If this is the San Jose K code - nope. Since they are not present on other examples

Here are some other examples from around your cars time period

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 11:18:16 PM »

Here are some other examples from around your cars time period

Is this a test? This looks like a case of the engine ground to firewall screw either stripped out of the firewall or lost, and the quick fix was a 1/4-20 nut for both the two speed ground as well as the ground.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 01:13:23 AM »
Is this a test? This looks like a case of the engine ground to firewall screw either stripped out of the firewall or lost, and the quick fix was a 1/4-20 nut for both the two speed ground as well as the ground.

A test - maybe for someone. Not my job to figure out why PO's do certain things to their cars ;)

But good you mentioned it before some lurker thought that was original - like the tie rod location in picture #3 - that is not where that goes either   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)