Author Topic: Correct interior paint to be sprayed with a spray gun?  (Read 7635 times)

Offline jtfx6552

Correct interior paint to be sprayed with a spray gun?
« on: November 11, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »
Local AB supply didn't seem to be able to come up with the codes for my 65 interior, in this case red.

What can I do to help them, or where else can I order the paint? Is there a code or codes available that will get the paint the correct color with the correct gloss level?

The spray cans most Mustang supply places sell seem correct, but I think I'd like something more durable and that can be sprayed out of a spray gun.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline NEFaurora

Re: Correct interior paint to be sprayed with a spray gun?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »

Lucky for you!

This topic is currently being discussed on another forum!  Even your year and interior color!

Go here!:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/699210-65-bright-red-interior-paint-help.html

:o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:32:30 AM »
Lol, I posted in that thread. I'm a little nervous since the best answer so far is a paint with the name "GM Medium Red". Also concerned about the gloss level and how to get that correct.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:47:32 PM »
Don't be nervous.. Trust me, If Steve (65Fastback6) is happy with it...You'll be overjoyed with it.

He is a stickler...and he knows his stuff.

I saw the interior of his car after it was done, and it looks correct with the right sheen..

:o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:01:32 PM »
Lol, I posted in that thread. I'm a little nervous since the best answer so far is a paint with the name "GM Medium Red". Also concerned about the gloss level and how to get that correct.

I've been using PPG Concept for interior paint and SU4985 matting agent, mixed to the eggshell formula on the spec sheet.  Be sure to spray with a 1.4 tip gun for easy coverage.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 11:24:36 PM »
As suggested in the past check with Auto Color Library/TCPGlobal.com and see if they have match you needed color to the current available paints.

They will have a page with all the original color paint chips and links from there

Been very helpful in the past with this sort of thing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »
As suggested in the past check with Auto Color Library/TCPGlobal.com and see if they have match you needed color to the current available paints.

They will have a page with all the original color paint chips and links from there

Been very helpful in the past with this sort of thing

Thanks! I did find my way to that page, but it may have created as many questions as it answered, lol.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...-Ford-pg02.jpg

There are four choices for a given color. Do I want acrylic enamel? Acrylic urethane? or something else.

How do I know if this pain is configured with the right flatness? Based on Charles post, I do need to add something to make it semi flat, and unless I can find concepts and mix to eggshell, experiment/guess to figure out how much?

If I select acrylic enamel, I get two options "restoration shop" paint, or PPG Delstar DAR.

Acrylic urethane has no PPG option.

If I select Urethane Basecoat, I get two options, "restoration shop" paint, or PPG Deltron 2000 DBC. Going base means I'd need a clear, I think, and have to guess about the amount of gloss in the clear? It seems like the BC/CC would be more likely to obscure the pressed in grain in the doors and fiberglass panels.

In any case, none of the PPG options on TPC's site are called "Concepts". Charles do you know what "Concepts" is? Urethane, or enamel? If I just bring the PPG red code 71315 to the local PPG place and ask for that color in concepts, with the matting agent you mentioned and hope they know what I mean?

Thanks for all the help!

John

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »
Concept is a single-stage urethane.  I think it's a great finish, durable and protects.  A light coat of epoxy primer is ideal and topcoat sprayed during non-sand window (per data sheet).

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
Further research reveals that "Concepts" is Acrylic urethane. It does show up on the TCPglobal site but not with a price or actual part number to buy, at least not for the 65 red 71315 code.

I called my local PPG place and they say code 71315 doesn't come up.

Edit, I called TCP global, they say 71315 isn't available in PPG concepts. They say I can use PPG's matting agent in their Acrylic urethane..

From the other thread, PPG corporate says that 73135 crosses to a mid 80s GM medium red, 72246.

So I guess my options are , TCP Global "restoration series" paint with PPG matting agent, and hope the eggshell matches, or PPG MED Red with Charles instructions.

I'm leaning towards the latter.

I wish this stuff wasn't so darn expensive or I'd try a test shoot.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:40:16 AM by jtfx6552 »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 01:41:04 PM »
Can your local PPG paint store mix up a quart with the matting agent already in?  Yes, this stuff is really expensive, but you'll be glad you used it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 10:40:09 PM »
If you order an interior color from Global the matt/flattener is already in it
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
After speaking with the guys at the PPG store, i actually went with Deltron DBI interior paint. It too has the matting agent in it, and is a urethane. It was horrendously expensive. They said red was by far the most expensive color. I guess it has to do with what pigments it.

I will be painting the interior of the doors tomorrow. probably should be in  it's own thread, but I know the interior/exterior color border is not under the weather strip on the bottom of the door. But which went on first? the interior color? Or the exterior color?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 12:24:30 AM »
I will be painting the interior of the doors tomorrow. probably should be in  it's own thread, but I know the interior/exterior color border is not under the weather strip on the bottom of the door. But which went on first? the interior color? Or the exterior color?

Interior color first then a mask was placed over the painted areas and the exterior color applied. A pillars and dash at the same time as the doors.

Be careful no to apply too much paint and fill the grain ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 12:45:39 AM »
Thanks Jeff. I used thinned epoxy to prime the interior part, grain looks good. Ill try to keep it that way. Spent 2 months fixing original doors to have good grain, I better not goof it up now, lol.

Do you have a picture handy in your rolodex of a million pictures that shows where the line is on the bottom of the door is exactly and at what point the line gets under the weather strip?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 01:08:38 AM »
Do you have a picture handy in your rolodex of a million pictures that shows where the line is on the bottom of the door is exactly and at what point the line gets under the weather strip?

Not if you didn't follow the rules by including you your question when and where your car was built in your post.

Your not that new to the site ;)

If its for a San Jose then did you try the search feature  ::)
Jeff Speegle