Author Topic: Radiator and shroud  (Read 4186 times)

Offline 70Mach

Radiator and shroud
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
I have the D0ZE-G1 radiator and a new "Ford" shroud from NPD.  When I try and fasten the shroud to the radiator, the fan is hitting the bottom of the shroud.  Anyone have any experience with this?  If I leave the passengers side shroud bolts out and just fasten with the bolts on the drivers side it clears.  Then going back to the passengers side, there's no holes available to attach the clips to on the side bar of the radiator.  Where the shroud holes end up, the side bar has a factory notch taken out of it so the clip cannot attach in that spot.  I'm wondering if the radiator was taken apart at one time and the side bars were switched from side to side?  The D0ZE-G1 stamped into the side bar is on the passengers side, is this correct or should it be one drivers side?  Or maybe the replacement  lower radiator saddles are the problem, I located a used a set and have those coming.     
'70 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351C, 4 bbl, auto, a/c, PDB, PS, shaker, white stripe, Dark Ivy Green w/black int.  '67 Mustang, San Jose, convertible 390, 4 speed, console, rear grill, Nightmist blue, standard blue interior

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Radiator and shroud
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:36:45 PM »
Seen it before, check your water pump. Bet that it isn't a Ford casting.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:32:51 PM »
It's a Ford water pump, but I don't know what casting number it is.  I can see the Ford logo cast into it.  I think the main problem is the aftermarket lower radiator saddles.  I don't think they let the radiator go all the way down vs. what original saddles do.  Hopefully over the weekend or the first part of next week, I'll get the factory saddles installed.
'70 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351C, 4 bbl, auto, a/c, PDB, PS, shaker, white stripe, Dark Ivy Green w/black int.  '67 Mustang, San Jose, convertible 390, 4 speed, console, rear grill, Nightmist blue, standard blue interior

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
Original Ford lower radiator brackets were installed this weekend.  Lowered the radiator another 3/16".  It's close but the fan just catches the shroud.  Either the Ford water pumps have variations (I need to find the casting number on it) or the new motor mounts aren't tall enough.  I'm wondering if I could loosen the motor mount brackets up, lift the engine slightly and then re-tighten the brackets?  Is there any adjustment to the motor mount brackets on the body?  Not too cracked up over that in the event it would slip back down, but I don't know what else to do.   

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »
Original Ford lower radiator brackets were installed this weekend.  Lowered the radiator another 3/16".  It's close but the fan just catches the shroud.  Either the Ford water pumps have variations (I need to find the casting number on it) or the new motor mounts aren't tall enough.  I'm wondering if I could loosen the motor mount brackets up, lift the engine slightly and then re-tighten the brackets?  Is there any adjustment to the motor mount brackets on the body?  Not too cracked up over that in the event it would slip back down, but I don't know what else to do.   
There is no adjustment in the chassis mounts just a little wiggle room . You have got some wrong parts somewhere to cause this issue . Raising the engine is counter productive as far as handling. I would guess that the issue is on the radiator side. I would double check the base of the radiator and make sure it is seated down into the radiator brackets. Possible damage or aftermarket base or one from another car. I believe engineering number typically on driver side strap so it sounds like it has been messed with.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »
I didn't think there was too much movement in the motor mounts on the car, but wasn't sure.  I'm wondering if the replacement (aftermarket) motor mounts are the issue.  The radiator appears to be correct, including the lower tank.  The radiator can't come down anymore, it's almost sitting on the lower front cross member of the radiator support.  The only thing I have to compare it to is the radiator out of my '67 390 convertible that had the original radiator in it when I purchased it a few years ago.  I don't know how much that would help me though. I've looked over the side straps and at first I thought it might make a difference but after looking at them more closely I don't think it does. Would they really make 2 different straps that could be accidently switched during production?  The fan is a 5 blade Ford flex fan, D0ZE-B, which I think is correct.  I probably have an 1" - 1 1/4" between the top of the fan and the shroud and the fan is just touching the shroud on the bottom.  On an original car was the spacing between the fan and shroud even all the way around the shroud?   

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
I didn't think there was too much movement in the motor mounts on the car, but wasn't sure.  I'm wondering if the replacement (aftermarket) motor mounts are the issue.  The radiator appears to be correct, including the lower tank.  The radiator can't come down anymore, it's almost sitting on the lower front cross member of the radiator support.  The only thing I have to compare it to is the radiator out of my '67 390 convertible that had the original radiator in it when I purchased it a few years ago.  I don't know how much that would help me though. I've looked over the side straps and at first I thought it might make a difference but after looking at them more closely I don't think it does. Would they really make 2 different straps that could be accidently switched during production?  The fan is a 5 blade Ford flex fan, D0ZE-B, which I think is correct.  I probably have an 1" - 1 1/4" between the top of the fan and the shroud and the fan is just touching the shroud on the bottom.  On an original car was the spacing between the fan and shroud even all the way around the shroud?
The straps don't really make a difference but the point is that someone has messed with the radiator and so there could be a issue there . It is hard to diagnose a problem by remote control especially when repro parts are involved in the mix. Repro parts can be a source of problem more times then factory Ford parts . If you have some kind of repro motor mounts then YES that could be a problem . Anything that is repro is suspect. The best of luck solving your problem.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 10:03:08 PM »
A lot of variables in this equation as has been pointed out.
I wonder if your aftermarket mounts are shaped a little different and/or have rubber thinner than originals so they're dropping your motor?
The repro shroud is something I would be suspect of, but how many re-cores has your rad undergone?
Is it still the same dimensionally as an original for your car that's never been re-cored?
You should try and get a look at that water pump casting number so a determination can be made there.
It's good you have stock saddle mount brackets installed, but are the rubbers original too?
I have no idea if aftermarkets are thicker and would push the rad up, but it should be a minimal difference?
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline jmlay

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »
Do you have the correct motor mount support brackets & are they installed correctly?:

http://428cobrajet.org/id-motor-mount-support-bracket
Mike

1969 Mach1 428 CJ Ram Air
San Jose
Scheduled Build: 1/2/1969
Actual Build: 1/3/1969
Released: 1/8/1969

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »
Checked out the motor mount brackets that bolt to the car.  They're correct.  I'm going to dig out the motor mounts that came with the car and compare them to the replacements.  As far as the radiator core, it looks original, but at this point who knows.  I'm going to get in touch with a guy nearby that supposedly has an all original 70 351C Mach 1 and see if I can look that one over.

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 10:36:39 AM »
Got some measurements from another '70 351C, 4V, FMX, w/ a/c that hasn't been restored and appears to be mostly original.  My engine height is correct!  The other car also has a D0ZE-G1 radiator with a tag soldered to the passenger side strap.  Unfortunately no shroud on that car.  The height of the core in my radiator is 16.25", the height in the other car is 16"  The radiator on my car is almost rubbing the lower radiator support bracket and on the other car there's 1/4" - 3/8" gap between the bottom of the tank and the lower support bracket.  So it would appear that the core and lower tank on my radiator are wrong.  sigh 

Went back to the unrestored car and took more measurements and compared lower tanks.  Lower tanks are the same, only difference is the core height. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:28:37 PM by 70Mach »