Author Topic: 69 dual exhaust  (Read 1288 times)

Offline andersonhotrods

69 dual exhaust
« on: October 19, 2013, 03:10:07 PM »
First, let me say thanks for a wonderful resource, in this site and all in attendance. A HUGE help.
Project in question 69 Mach R code late NJ.
1) Should the intermediate pipes and/or the outlet pipes be welded to the transverse muffler?
2) Recently, Saacman had photos of a rear exhaust hanger, with the point of the bolt heading towards the fuel tank (a no-no).
I understand that 69-70 have different exhaust systems, but the issue made me look at the "original" hangers in my possession.
The clamps are spot welded to the hanger (factory FORD, and G stamp). the clamps are oriented the same way, so that the only way
the left hand hanger could be installed with the screw pointing away from the tank, would be to insert the hanger into the rubber , from the rear. Which seems incorrect to my pea brain. Any thoughts?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 dual exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 07:25:38 PM »
First, let me say thanks for a wonderful resource, in this site and all in attendance. A HUGE help.
Project in question 69 Mach R code late NJ.
1) Should the intermediate pipes and/or the outlet pipes be welded to the transverse muffler?

I'll take the easy one ;)  - No
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »
The lh side was the most important side as the gas tank is offset to the left & hanger clamp screw is real close to bottom corner of tank & clamp is spotwelded to J-hook slider with a color code so to make sure on assembly the screw sharp tip pointed away from tank for safety in case of a rear end crash & a tank leak. The rh side is not as important as farther away from tank & clamp position is not as much concern & I have seen them in different positions.  Remember the slider hook can go in rubber from either direction & that also makes a difference on clamp screw direction when clamp is spotwelded to the hook.

Offline andersonhotrods

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »
Thanks for the help. Probably won't be more than a few hundred further questions.