Author Topic: what sealer goes here if any  (Read 2519 times)

Offline original68

what sealer goes here if any
« on: September 30, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »
hello first time post was referred here from VMF.  i patched in the drivers side and passenger side floor board.  what is the correct sealer for this gap( where the floor meets the rocker and toe board.  is it just brushed on seam sealer or would 3 m strip caulk work to fill the gap.  thanks for any help

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: what sealer goes here if any
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »
hello first time post was referred here from VMF.  i patched in the drivers side and passenger side floor board.  what is the correct sealer for this gap( where the floor meets the rocker and toe board.  is it just brushed on seam sealer or would 3 m strip caulk work to fill the gap.  thanks for any help

What plant and year?   (always the first question here if you don't provide it up front ;)   details can often differ from year to year and plant to plant

Without that info generally I've seen brushed tar black  base brushed in most of the applications. 3M strip would fill the gap but it would not be what the factory used and remains very pliable - which might not be the best thing over time

BTW I find it interesting and a bit puzzling that this conversation is taking place on this forum not on the MCA one where other board members, general members and judges might view it. Though I noticed that Charles posted a link there ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:36:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline original68

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:51:21 PM »
sorry for not posting the correct info in the first post it is a 68 san jose car.  thanks for the info

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:06:13 AM »
sorry for not posting the correct info in the first post it is a 68 san jose car.  thanks for the info

Sorry don't take allot of interior pictures once the car is stripped ( always before or after :(

Generally large gaps would have been filled with chalking and brushed into the gap then the spray application. Heavy build up product like what you'll find at all the seams (like that other seam - floor to firewall - you have in your picture) with a 2" to approx 4" pattern. You can also find examples of this if your trunk is still original.

Picture does not clearly show the exact spot - sorry,  but you can see the spray application in that area which would ahve been the final coat before exterior color was applied

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
Here's a pic from the driver's side 67 SJ.  Same material, sprayed, used in many locations in the interior.  The second and third picture shows another 67 SJ for other locations where the same material is used.  If you have not completely stripped the interior you should have very similar coverage.   As Jeff mentioned it could be that for large gaps where was a preliminary step to bridge them, and the sprayed application followed on top.  I've never disected one to look for confirmation of that but will do so at some point. 

That covers the answer in general.  The next question might be along the lines of "how" and "what to use".  I suggest that you review these previous posts:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15.msg35903#msg35903
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5404.msg30345#msg30345
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
     8R02S Built 3/18/68.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68