Author Topic: Carb pic?  (Read 4136 times)

Offline 70Mach

Carb pic?
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of a 1970 351C 4V, FMX, w/ a/c Autolite 4300 carb?  I don't have the idle solenoid bracket and need to know what I'm looking for.   Or where can I find a good picture?  Thanks!
'70 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351C, 4 bbl, auto, a/c, PDB, PS, shaker, white stripe, Dark Ivy Green w/black int.  '67 Mustang, San Jose, convertible 390, 4 speed, console, rear grill, Nightmist blue, standard blue interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Carb pic?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »
Looked and I've got none with the air cleaner off and the original carb. Have one 71 example but don't think the mount is the same.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
Thanks for looking.  Anybody else have one? Thanks
'70 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351C, 4 bbl, auto, a/c, PDB, PS, shaker, white stripe, Dark Ivy Green w/black int.  '67 Mustang, San Jose, convertible 390, 4 speed, console, rear grill, Nightmist blue, standard blue interior

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 11:14:40 PM »
Here's some Pic's of a couple of crusty ones....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:17:31 PM by 70cj428 »

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 05:47:51 PM »
Thanks for the pics! That's what I thought it looked like but I was told that isn't correct.  The one I bought has a threaded hole that the solenoid screws into and then it has an adjusting screw on the bracket.  Do you happen to know what the number is stamped on the carb?  D00F - AD is what I'm looking for.   

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 10:34:02 PM »
Hi 70Mach,
    The carb with the solenoid still attached is a D0OF-AB (4 speed carb) and the loose solenoid came off my 70 Mach , auto, AC 99% sure that it still has it's original D0OF-AD carb on it, but the car is in storage 70 miles away, so it may be a little while before I can confirm it .... 

I have another D0OF-AB carb that also has the same solenoid on it, so I can't imagine that all three have the wrong solenoid on them, but I guess anything is possible.  ( for what it's worth, That's the only style solenoid I've seen on a 70 carb, can you post a pic of the part you bought ?? )

John

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »
Thanks for the additional detail!  Attached is what I bought.

Next question is what wire does the solenoid plug into at the firewall?  Blue w/ white connector?  That wire seems to have power all the time.  I thought the solenoid only activated with the a/c turned on.   And what did the wire look like going from the firewall to the solenoid?     

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »

Next question is what wire does the solenoid plug into at the firewall?  Blue w/ white connector?  That wire seems to have power all the time.  I thought the solenoid only activated with the a/c turned on.   And what did the wire look like going from the firewall to the solenoid?   

Believe by 70 most worked as an anti- dieseling (to stop run on) so they were on anytime the key was in the run position. Would have to check a wiring diagram for the color code on the wire - don't have that in my head at the moment ;)

The wire typically just looks like an extension with the plug on one end and the connector (a number of different styles were used depending on application) on the other
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:30:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:43:59 PM »

Correct.  I've seen one example of that wire running from the large female bullet connector on the main underdash harness located on the engine side of the firewall to the carb.  One end has a large bullet connector and the other side has a spade connector.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 11:08:34 PM »
Just FYI, hooks up just like a Boss 302 solenoid, The wire from the firewall may even be the same, more info over on the Boss 302 forum if you search...

( Boss 302's, 428 CJ's w/AC, 351C 4V w/AC or Manual Trans all used solenoids on the carb, not sure about B429's or 2 bbl stuff, all for anti Dieseling...)

Next time I visit my 70 351 Mach ( the one the solenoid came off of) I'll take some pic's of all the  AC compressor brackets, idlers, ect as I'm sure they are correct. ( Engines never been apart, even had the factory belts and hoses when I bought it in 1983 ....) ( It's been in hibernation since 1987  :o  )
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:14:26 PM by 70cj428 »

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
Thanks for all the help!  Now I need to get a bracket, solenoid and wire.  70cj428, pics would be great!  midlife thanks for the detail on the wiring!

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 03:27:56 PM »
I gave up on the D0OF-AC carb, found a D0OF-AD carb.  Is the idle speed adjustment made by sliding the solenoid back or forth in the clamp/bracket?  I don't see anything in the '70 Ford shop manual on how to adjust, except the RPM specs. 

Figured it out, threaded plunger on the solenoid.  At first, I didn't want to screw it up by turning it but then figured why else would it have a hex head on it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:13:05 AM by 70Mach »