Author Topic: 66 am/8-track knobs same as am or am/fm?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline 7Lscjracer

66 am/8-track knobs same as am or am/fm?
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:46:29 AM »
For a 66 am/8-track I have different length tailpieces on 2 sets of inner knobs?
Maybe short are one side and long are on the other or maybe they're both short or maybe they're both long?
I see Scott Drake repros knobs but doesn't specifically state if they're for all 3 varieties of head units.
I'm also wondering where the internal tooth star washers go on the brass shafts?
Behind or in front of the chrome & camera case dash bezel?
Can't google anything other than a miniature pic of the service manual parts blowup in ebay listings that's too difficult to discern without superman eyeballs.
I guess for the woodgrain pony interior, the 8 track spring door should have that little sliver of woodgrain applique?
Never seen that in repro kits.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 02:59:46 AM by 7Lscjracer »
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline drummingrocks

Re: 66 am/8-track knobs same as am or am/fm?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:49:28 AM »
I can't help with the other questions, but my '66 fastback is a 63k original car with the 8-track and Pony interior.  It doesn't have any kind of woodgrain on either the camera case bezel or the strip area where an 8-track cassette is inserted.  Hope this helps!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 12:01:04 PM »
Should be no wood grain on the 8-track.  I have always used the same radio knobs for all, never noticed a difference.  Could be a manufacturer things... Philco vs. Bendix?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:20:52 PM »
Thanks for the info.
I've seen the woodgrain strip on the 8 track spring door on occasion, but never over the camera case bezel.
It's definetly token to have it just on the door.
As far as who made the am/8-track, I have T6SMS on the side and T6SMZ on the back of the case, so it seems it's a rebuild.
Since the side panel is an easier swap, it's probably a T6SMZ.
Glad to hear the knob sets are the same for all 3 varieties, but what comprises a knob set with regards to the inner knobs?
Both long or both short or one long and one short?
Here are some pics of the peculiar woodgrain strip, the knobs, and the mounting nuts, spacer, and washers.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:45:23 PM »
When the radio is installed in the dash, that will determine how much of the threaded part is sticking out.  I don't see how that part of the radio has anything to do with the length of the inner portion of the knobs.  IMHO, I believe this is a manufacturer variance or possibly an improved part over an earlier one.

Consider that the inner part of the knob may have pulled out when removing.  Try tapping it down with a plastic hammer and see if it sinks in.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »
That photo of the 8 track with the wood grain on the cassette door is of one that is listed in my store and I state in the description that someone glued it on. It is Not Original to that 8 Track. I have never seen another one with wood grain applique.

I have not found any difference between the Knobs for any of the 3 options of radios, AM, AM/FM or 8 Track.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »
Thanks Charles, the split tubes are fully seated in the inner knobs.
There's a section that T's off of the tube to prevent spinning and they're seated down in there.
I can physically see a different length of split tube from the tip of the tube to where the T section begins on one set of knobs vs the other.
I took the smooth end of a 9/64" bit and slid it down each brass potentiometer shaft, marking with tape, I found them both to have the same depth.
The longer inner knobs exceed the available depth, but the shorter ones are equal so those are the ones I'll use.
Next problem, one of the shorter knobs has a mangled split tube so I need to replace it. :'(
Thanks Andrew, that is your picture I poached.
I've seen the picture from time to time, but it's just a relist then, and not multiple examples.
Glad there's consensus on the knob sets being common to all 3 varieties by a given manufacturer.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »
Yeah, it is the same 8 track, you might have just seen it in different listing formats since I have had it. Parts stay in my store in one format or another until they sell. It is the only 8 track, out of several that I currently have, with a wood grain applique. When viewed up close, in person, it is evident that it is not original wood grain.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs