Author Topic: Correct console lighter for 69 Dearborn console Mach I  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Dave Stribling

Correct console lighter for 69 Dearborn console Mach I
« on: August 28, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
Check your lighters - I need to know the correct lighter application for a 69 Mach I built Jan 69 in Dearborn.  Check the photo - the one on the left came out of a 69 Mach I built in Metuchen, which I know is the original cause he's the original owner of the car and doesn't smoke. The middle one is from the low mileage Dearborn car - allegedly the original. This console came through with a Cougar top too. The one on the right is the Scott Drake replacement for consol applications. Don't think that is correct. Is the dearborn piece suppose to be like the Metuchen one?

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Correct console lighter for 69 Dearborn console Mach I
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »
From my findings, the one on the right is correct for the console in a 1969, the one on the left is correct without a console.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 04:58:26 PM »
From my findings, the one on the right is correct for the console in a 1969, the one on the left is correct without a console.
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:09:37 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to track down the Metuchen assembly line guys and tell them they installed the wrong lighter in Dave's console. :)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to track down the Metuchen assembly line guys and tell them they installed the wrong lighter in Dave's console. :)
I don't know about Metuchen but the one on the right is typical for Dearborn with console. Kind of counter intuitive since the other matches other knobs. There can always be anomoly's and there is typical  ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:32:00 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »
Dave, It's not wrong, just not typical. I have seen this on a few cars that were original in my opinion, but still not typical production. The  lighter actually was shipped in the owners manual packet to be installed during dealer prep.

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:55:39 AM »
Oh I know its not wrong, I was making a joke. I really don't think Ford stops production because they ran out of the correct lighters for the console.  As I said, the 69 Dearborn car console came through with a Cougar top, and I have seen that before in non-shelbys. But because the center lighter is plastic and looks like it has been used, I'm guessing that it is a replacement.

I liked the sticker placement on the Metuchen car from the factory too:

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »
The bigger question is: When you find an anomaly on your car like that, do you leave it the way Ford made the car, or do you change it to please judges and standards?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »
There is one more area that you neglected to consider, many dealers remove cigar lighters and most anything else that's small or loose from cars on the showroom floor or in the lot due to "light fingered" potential car buyers. When the car is eventually sold and delivered, there is a mini-mad scramble to make sure all the goodies are back in the car; mats, manuals, lighter, spare, jack, etc. The salesman and car prep crew don't always get it correct, hence the different lighter.
If you cannot document the anomaly, be correct.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »
There is one more area that you neglected to consider, many dealers remove cigar lighters and most anything else that's small or loose from cars on the showroom floor or in the lot due to "light fingered" potential car buyers. When the car is eventually sold and delivered, there is a mini-mad scramble to make sure all the goodies are back in the car; mats, manuals, lighter, spare, jack, etc. The salesman and car prep crew don't always get it correct, hence the different lighter.
If you cannot document the anomaly, be correct.
Jim
To add to Jims informative perspective. There are many enthusiasts/observers that will not understand ether (forget judges and standards). If you want to hassle with answering the questions every single time someone picks up on the detail you can leave it alone . There will be many people that will not want to risk insulting and never even ask the question and just go on their way thinking you have made a small mistake. If that doesn't bother you then be "the guy" who has the odd lighter and leave it alone. You will have to make the choice on what will be best of you.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:23:22 PM »
The bigger question is: When you find an anomaly on your car like that, do you leave it the way Ford made the car, or do you change it to please judges and standards?

Since this is an easy piece to swap back and forth I would install the one expected and save the other. Over time attempt to find other cars built at the same time and plant (if yours got the odd lighter it wasn't the only car that did ;) and if you find a pattern return the "odd" lighter to the car. We've discovered allot of sub patterns in production following this pattern of discovery and documentation of multiple vehicles.

Talking to plant workers  it sounds like the idea that they "ran out of specific parts" on a regular basis is not the norm. Instead they report that they only started on cars once all parts needed for the build were in place and available. Of course things happened but there were many people who were responsible for seeing that parts with at the plant, available and in place at the line.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)