Author Topic: 67 San Jose Fastback - Oct 22 Decal Questions  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Red67Fastback

67 San Jose Fastback - Oct 22 Decal Questions
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:39:13 PM »
Hello Everyone, I did a search for information on the service specification decal on the driver side shock tower and ended up having more questions than I started. The car in question is a 67, San Jose, small block with AC, built on October 22, 1966. Would the service specification decal be a 66 or 67 decal? Also, in one thread, Jeff brought up the fact that the OP didn't mention that the car had AC, so it sounded like he answered as if there is a difference if the car has AC or not. Jeff and others, could you shed some light on this?

Second question that I have regards the Battery OK decal. I've read over and over that it should have blue printing and it is not currently reproduced, does that mean that the blue decal shown below is incorrect as well? Any one have a picture? I have seen some of these decals placed on the top (fender mounting) surface of the RH inner fender apron as well as above the voltage regulator. Is one spot more correct for this time period?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:42:18 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 San Jose Fastback
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:40:42 PM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find the information here useful

Hello Everyone, I did a search for information on the service specification decal on the driver side shock tower and ended up having more questions than I started. The car in question is a 67, San Jose, small block with AC, built on October 22, 1966. Would the service specification decal be a 66 or 67 decal? Also, in one thread, Jeff brought up the fact that the OP didn't mention that the car had AC, so it sounded like he answered as if there is a difference if the car has AC or not. Jeff and others, could you shed some light on this?

For your time period it appears that the decal was the 67 (dark lower band) was used and installed about half way down the drivers side shock tower as shown in the examples (close to your car) shown below. The 66 (light lower bar) style usage appears to be mostly intermixed with the more commonly found 67  before and after your cars time period - I would use the 67 unless you have evidence that your car had the other version

7R01A124580

7R02S125864

Second question that I have regards the Battery OK decal. I've read over and over that it should have blue printing and it is not currently reproduced, does that mean that the blue decal shown below is incorrect as well?

Yes for 67-68 the decal should be printed in blue but the decal you posted is not like the original. Who ever made that decal simply took the 65-66 or 69-73 decal and simply printed it in blue - not changing other details that would make it like the original

Any one have a picture? I have seen some of these decals placed on the top (fender mounting) surface of the RH inner fender apron as well as above the voltage regulator. Is one spot more correct for this time period?

They (at San Jose) tended to move around a little depending on the worker applying it. But there were only a couple of guys that did this job so patterns show up if you look at enough of them. Problem is that after 66 the number of examples (even left over adhesive) drops off greatly making establishing patterns more difficult.

Guess your asking about the October period (120xxx-126xxx period) - will find time to look at some pictures and provide more info in the day to come. Have a backlog of questiosn and emails to respond to :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Red67Fastback

Re: 67 San Jose Fastback - Oct 22 Decal Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 01:40:06 AM »
Jeff, thanks for the welcome and taking the time to answer my questions and post the pictures. You are correct my car is # 1202XX. I look forward to seeing those pictures and contributing to this site if/ where I can.

- Nick

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 08:01:24 PM »
I'm doing some serious gravedigging today, reviving a bunch of old threads! I purchased a "Battery OK" decal sometime in the mid 90s (first photo). It looks like what you are describing as correct for 67. Larry's T-Bird & Mustang carries a very similar, if not identical, item: MDF194 (second photo). Would this design be incorrect for a Feb 68 SJ car?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:18:14 PM »
.................... Would this design be incorrect for a Feb 68 SJ car?

I have no real good examples from that plant and year - unfortunately these were not designed to last more than a month or so since their sole purpose/application was in plant.

But looking at all plants it appears that this is the design that was being used at all the plants in 68 as well as 67. Of course the material would have originally been untreated (no clear coat) paper rather than vinyl
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
I have no real good examples from that plant and year - unfortunately these were not designed to last more than a month or so since their sole purpose/application was in plant.

But looking at all plants it appears that this is the design that was being used at all the plants in 68 as well as 67. Of course the material would have originally been untreated (no clear coat) paper rather than vinyl
I thought that was a Dearborn style?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 09:32:19 PM »
I thought that was a Dearborn style?

The blue ink and non-intersecting lines is what I've found/documented being used on 67-68 all plants so far. In 69 there was a change to the other version more like the 65-66 version

Filling out is a whole 'nother thing
Jeff Speegle