Author Topic: Drive Shaft & Yoke Details - M Code 4 speed  (Read 2531 times)

Offline marvmach

Drive Shaft & Yoke Details - M Code 4 speed
« on: August 10, 2013, 07:28:29 AM »
I'm a newbie, so forgive me if this info is readily available somewhere.
I am getting my 70 Mach 1  back together (351C-4V, with 4 speed, 28-spline axle). I am currently working on the drive shaft. I am 90% sure that the one I have is not correct. I need confirmation on the length (from u-joint center to u-joint center as 50 7/32. I also need the info on the correct paint stripe colors and locations, which seems to be closely guarded info. Any help you guys can provide is appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 05:55:22 PM by J_Speegle »
1970 Mach 1 351C-4V, MT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Drive Shaft & Yoke Details - M Code 4 speed
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:41:51 PM »
I'm a newbie, so forgive me if this info is readily available somewhere.
I am getting my 70 Mach 1  back together (351C-4V, with 4 speed, 28-spline axle). I am currently working on the drive shaft. I need confirmation on the length (from u-joint center to u-joint center as 50 7/32.

I also need the info on the correct paint stripe colors and locations, which seems to be closely guarded info.

Not a closely guarded detail you just needed to find someone with access to a build sheet or two of a similar car. Also many owners slap on paint stripes and daubs before they have addressed the finish and condition of the part - quickly rushing to put paint marks on items for some reason. MOST classes do not require that you have paint marks and wrong ones (deducted for some this weekend) will lose you points as will incorrect details of the base part. With that said I hope you didn't paint your driveline or used similar finishes ;)

Colors and order for the identification stripes are 1 Green - 1 White -1 Yellow stripes

As far as the location we have no way of knowing where they were placed on your driveline. Looking at other examples I would place them at the half way point or at the rear third - and move backwards
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 05:55:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline marvmach

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:44:19 AM »
Thank you , Jeff. This is the most help I have received on this subject.  I do have some approx dimensions/placement on other stripes that I can use as a go-by. I really appreciate your help. What about the ends of the driveshaft? are they supposed to be primered? Some have told me that the yoke should be yellow.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 05:55:30 PM by J_Speegle »
1970 Mach 1 351C-4V, MT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:29:35 PM »
Thank you , Jeff. This is the most help I have received on this subject. .................

Glad you found us

Stripes are usually 1-1 1/2" wide and irregular - somewhere around 6-9 inches between each

The color of the end yokes is governed by the size of the yoke (the color identified the yoke to the guy assembling the driveline) so you will need to measure the size of the U joint hole and the length. Ends were painted before they were attached so paint burnt off as they were welded to the tube - this needs to be reproduced after application

Don't recall ever seeing yellow on a trans yoke except for a 65 automatic application for a time - or were you describing the rear end yoke. IF rear yellow was a mark applied during 66 as a result of complaints about vibration when drivelines were reinstalled after servicing. Maybe someone got confused. Paint mark migration (PMM) is a giant problem - you'll see allot of thread about that here
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 05:55:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline BHStang

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 09:52:28 PM »
Does anyone have observations on paint marks of slip yoke and welded yokes on the drive shaft for a 351 4 speed car.  My drive shaft is a solid type vs the tube in tube with rubber design.
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close
AC, PS, Power disk, Shaker, Rear Spoiler

Offline BHStang

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 02:39:11 PM »
a consensus from multiple original examples of 351 3/4 speed cars is coming back with a yellow slip yoke. The yokes on the shafts remain a mystery.  Black is possible on the rear welded yoke but cant confirm that yet.
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 05:57:17 PM »
Going to merge this tread and an other earlier one that way we keep these together and it will allow me to update the other one while responding to this one :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 06:04:33 PM »
a consensus from multiple original examples of 351 3/4 speed cars is coming back with a yellow slip yoke. The yokes on the shafts remain a mystery.  Black is possible on the rear welded yoke but cant confirm that yet.

Have not seen any drive shaft end yokes that were painted black, then machined and finally welded to the driveshaft tube. Over time have found one examples that was shared showing the front welded yoke and the slip yoke from an unrestored 70 M code 4 speed (reported as a June 15th built car) , shown below. This has been posted once before in another thread. Hope this helps. Its tough to find allot of examples that help to support one another

Check the measurements and style of yoke at the rear of your driveline. If the same as the front I believe it would be a safe bet that originally they were both painted the same color as the front one.
Jeff Speegle

Offline BHStang

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 03:41:19 PM »
If anyone else finds another original example showing the yellow on the slip and light blue on the welded that would be great.  The one example I have that I think is black is so poor that you really cant see it in a picture.  The drive shaft I am going to use I got from Dead Nuts On as a reproduction but Im using an original slip yoke.  When I have it together I will post a picture
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close

Offline BHStang

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 11:51:46 AM »
This is my reproduction drive shaft.  Slip yoke is an original, U joints are generic replacements.  The tube itself is from Dead Nuts On and they applied the 3 tube stripes. 
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close